- A bachelor's degree or higher in any field
- An adult echocardiography credential from the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography (RDCS) or Cardiovascular Credentialing International (RCS)
- Employer verification letter detailing the equivalent of three years of clinical experience in echocardiography
Candidates must meet the technical standards, with or without reasonable accommodation, necessary to acquire or demonstrate competence in health professions. The Advanced Cardiovascular Sonography Program has identified nine theme areas as essential functions for the program's technical standards:
- Psychomotor skills and mobility
- Interpersonal behavior and social skills
- Cognitive-intellectual skills
- Problem-solving and organizational skills
- Computer skills
A summary of required abilities includes:
- Sufficient motor functions to perform basic life support, transfer and position patients, and position and operate health care and imaging equipment, as well as the capability to manipulate multiple objects simultaneously
- Sufficient sensory and observation abilities in order to differentiate subtle variations in color, shape and texture; observe patients from a distance or close at hand; hear audio and see visual alarms; and read various forms of documentation
- The ability to read and comprehend written instructions and documents independently
Applicants must be able to perform the essential functions of the profession and meet the standards of the curriculum. To seek exceptions to these standards or reasonable accommodations, students accepted for admission must initiate a request with the program director at least six weeks before the program begins.
Though Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science is a participant in the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA), the State of California is not. As such, we are not authorized to provide distance education in the State of California, and therefore do not accept students from California into the Advanced Cardiac Sonography Program.
Non-U.S. citizen applicants
See the Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences non-U.S. citizen applicants policy.
See further Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences admissions policy information.