Class size and track options
Each year, four fellows are admitted across our three tracks. Currently, not all tracks are available for both PAs and NPs. Please see below to see which track you are eligible for application:
|Track||Available for||No. of fellow(s) accepted per year|
|Traditional Hospitalist Track||PAs||1|
|Critical Care Medicine Track||NPs or PAs||2|
If eligible, applicants are able to apply for up to two tracks. Please refer to the application instructions for complete details.
To be eligible for this fellowship, you must have:
- Graduated from an accredited physician assistant or nurse practitioner program
- Graduated from an acute care specialty program (only applicable to NPs)
- National board certification
- Arizona state license
- Current Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) license
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS) and Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) certifications
Note: If you have not yet graduated from your training program and not yet met all of the prerequisites, you may still apply for the fellowship. But to be successfully appointed to the fellowship, you must have graduated and met all of the prerequisites before the start of the program.
Candidates are selected based on grades, work and volunteer experiences, leadership qualities, and representation of individual qualities and skills.
See further Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences admissions policy information.
Non-U.S. citizen applicants
See the Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences non-U.S. citizen applicant's policy.
How to apply
The program begins the last Tuesday in September and runs through the end of September the following year.
The application cycle opens Jan. 2 and closes May 31 of the year in which you wish to begin the program. Your application and all supporting documentation must be received by May 31.
1. Complete the online application. Complete the online Application for Admission.
After you create an account in ApplyYourself, sign in and select Application for Admission. Do not select Lite Application.
Applicants are able to apply for two out of the three tracks. If you would like to apply to multiple tracks, complete the application for the track you are most interested in, and if you would like to also be considered for an additional track, please indicate your interest at the end of your personal statement.
2. Submit your supporting documentation. You will need to submit the following:
- An official transcript from your training program
- Three letters of recommendation, which may be submitted as part of the online application or offline. If completed offline, these must be received by Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences in a signed, sealed envelope.
- Current curriculum vitae
- Personal statement
Send any required materials that are not submitted online directly to:
Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences
13400 E. Shea Blvd.
Scottsdale, AZ 85259
The selection committee carefully reviews each application. Individuals considered for an appointment are invited for an in-person interview.
Candidates selected for the fellowship will be contacted by phone, followed by an appointment letter, by mid-June. If you receive an appointment letter, your reply is expected within 10 days.