Duration: 4-6 weeks
Class size: Varies
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experience (APPE) Pharm.D. candidates who successfully complete a rotation at Mayo Clinic Arizona will further develop their skills to provide pharmaceutical care to a variety of patients. While interacting with health care professionals, residents, other students, patients and their caregivers to optimize medication therapy outcomes, you will learn to communicate effectively and demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills.
Pharm.D. candidates completing APPEs at Mayo Clinic have the opportunity to experience a variety of clinical pharmacy practices at Mayo Clinic’s campus in Phoenix, Arizona. APPEs are available in both the acute and ambulatory practice settings.
The APPE program includes all the elements that create an exceptional education experience:
- A challenging, high-quality curriculum
- State-of-the-art diagnostic, therapeutic and research facilities
- A diverse patient population
- An environment based on teamwork and mutual support
Participants may be exposed to areas including: critical care, infectious diseases, hematology, oncology, bone marrow transplant, solid organ transplant and internal medicine.
To be eligible to apply for the rotation, you must be:
Enrolled in a Doctor of Pharmacy program at an affiliated institution in the U.S.
- Licensed as a pharmacy intern in Arizona
- Pre-approved by the program director at Mayo Clinic
Affiliated institutions include:
- Midwestern University – College of Pharmacy Glendale
- University of Arizona
- Creighton University
- Mercer University
- The Regents of the University of Colorado - University of Colorado Health Sciences Center
At this time, we are unable to accommodate requests for new APPE affiliation agreements.
Applicants are selected based on grades and work experiences, as well as volunteer experiences, leadership qualities, and representation of personal qualities and skills in a personal letter.
After you successfully complete the program, you will receive credit toward completion of your doctor of pharmacy degree.
How to apply
Your application and all supporting documentation must be received a minimum of six months prior to the anticipated start of your rotation. You are encouraged to apply early.
Students must provide their college of pharmacy experiential program director with a request for an advanced pharmacy practice experience rotation at Mayo Clinic in Arizona. Your experiential program will contact Mayo Clinic for approval of your request. If approved, you will be contacted and instructed to complete the online application process.
- Online application. Complete the Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences online application.
- Supporting documentation. Submit the following materials:
- Curriculum vitae
- One-page personal statement about why you would like to complete an APPE at Mayo Clinic in Arizona (one page)
Please send the supporting documentation to:
Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences
13400 E. Shea Blvd.
Scottsdale, AZ 85259
- Review process. Applications will be reviewed upon receipt and accepted applicants will be notified by their college of pharmacy experiential education department.
As an Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experience (APPE) student at Mayo Clinic’s campus in Phoenix, Arizona, you devote much of your time to comprehensive clinical training in direct patient care services.
Pharmacy students who successfully complete an APPE at Mayo Clinic Arizona will further develop their skills to provide pharmaceutical care to a variety of patients. During your APPE, you participate as an integral member of a multidisciplinary patient care team in on of Mayo Clinic’s patient care areas.
While interacting with health care professionals, residents, students, and patients and their caregivers to optimize drug therapy outcomes, you will learn to communicate effectively and demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills.
During your APPE, you also enhance your skills in:
- Developing problem lists
- Defining therapeutic goals
- Developing therapeutic plans
- Monitoring drug therapy outcomes
- Providing drug information and education
- Assessing and practicing evidence-based medicine
For the majority of the Pharmacy APPE Hospital/Inpatient, your learning schedule includes eight-hour days, five days a week.
Tuition and financial aid
Tuition rates are determined by and paid to the college of pharmacy at which you are enrolled. Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences participates in a clinical rotation tuition sharing process, which is billed directly to the affiliate school.
Students are responsible for providing living accommodations and transportation.