Academic guidance to help you excel
Our academic success advisers are here to offer a personal touch by meeting with you to discuss tutoring, efficient study practices, time management, or anything else to help you meet your academic and professional goals.
Support for your mental health
Transitioning to a new environment, and handling demanding academic expectations, can test even the most resilient people. Our friendly counselors are always available to support you through challenging circumstances.
We're committed to offering a supportive environment for all learners as we cultivate a diverse health care workforce. We work in partnership with faculty and staff to improve accessibility for learners with disabilities.
Support services for all domains of life and learning
Being a student or trainee at Mayo Clinic goes beyond studying. As you work to support patient care and research, we've designed services and resources to support you in six distinct domains of well-being. These domains play a big role in your overall wellness, and we focus on each to provide the most well-rounded learning environment possible.
- Career & academic
Academic advising is available in a number of ways. Individual, small group, and workshop sessions are available and are offered at all locations. Learners seeking support work with an academic success adviser to identify needs and establish individualized short-term and long-term action plans that promote academic, personal, and career accomplishment.
Additionally, success advising includes support and encouragement. Learners may need support for emotional issues or learning differences, at which times learners may reach out directly or be referred to appropriate resources. Individual contacts are made in person, over the phone, and through email. You may personally request services or may be referred by program faculty.
Academic success advisers
- Jenny Allen, M.Ed. - Allen.Jennifer2@mayo.edu
- Sophia Engelman - Engelman.Sophia@mayo.edu
- Sarah Hager - Hager.Sarah@mayo.edu
We also offer free tutoring services to all learners enrolled in Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science. Our tutors are selected and hired by Mayo Clinic to provide assistance in a variety of content areas and participate in training from our academic success advisers. Interested learners can be matched to appropriate tutors.
Additional career and academic support services to help you achieve professional growth and purpose include:
- Disability and accessibility resources
- Learning and reading strategy guidance
- Resume/CV writing assistance
- Time management
- Current learners: View our internal academic/career well-being resources
Mental health counseling
Our mental health clinicians offer complimentary confidential sessions to assist with any issues about your mental health and well-being. Staff are available to learners at all campuses in person, by phone, or by Skype appointment.
Mental health clinicians
- Uma Anand, Ph.D., L.P. - Anand.Uma@mayo.edu
- Randy Cook, L.P.C.C. - ArzMhcSched@mayo.edu
- Maria Mangione - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mary Schilpp - Schilpp.Mary@mayo.edu
Other emotional support services include:
- Individual therapy, couples therapy, and family therapy
- Psycho-educational groups and workshops
- Stress management and burn-out enrichment sessions
- Referral to outside resources as needed
- Student assistance programs where learners have access to special work-life programming
- The Conscious Journey Podcast featuring Mayo Clinic physicians
- Current learners: View our internal emotional well-being resources
When you’re thriving in the social well-being domain, you have several people available for support and validation, are able to set boundaries, and actively make an effort to maintain relationships.
Our academic programs make a point to emphasize collegiality and social engagement. Whether you're in Arizona, Florida, or Minnesota, you'll be able to plug into a vibrant community in addition to the time you'll spend with your faculty and peers.
Additional social support services that help you find connection and a sense of belonging include:
When you’re thriving in the cognitive well-being domain, you are able to focus attention on your priorities, experience feelings of satisfaction from your work, and efficiently learn and retain new information.
Cognitive support services that foster effective learning to live a healthy and productive life include:
- Guidance on learning strategies
- Mental and emotional disability accommodations
- Enrichment Series on resiliency
- Current learners: View our internal cognitive well-being resources
When you’re thriving in the financial well-being domain, you feel in control of your finances, have a budget in place that is followed consistently, and make financial decisions that are aligned with your personal values.
All our learners can schedule an appointment with our staff to understand more about financial aid, loan repayment strategies, budgeting, the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program, and more.
We also cover relevant topics at our Lunch and Learn financial literacy sessions, including:
- How and Why to Budget
- Cost Saving Tips
- Understanding the Home Buying and Mortgage Process
- Retirement Savings
- Loan Repayment Strategies
- Residency Cost of Living Comparison Tips
- Understanding Credit
- Financial Bootcamp: A hands-on workshop where you'll actively participate in your financial wellbeing by creating a budget, pulling your credit report, checking student loan amounts, and learning other important tips about personal finance
When you’re thriving in the physical well-being domain, you adhere to your personal fitness goals, consistently get quality sleep, have positive energy and mood, eat healthy and nutritious meals, and limit any addictive behaviors or substance use to cope with stress or difficult emotions.
Learners at our three campuses have access to on-site fitness facilities and discounted membership fees to area gyms. In Rochester, learners can join the Dan Abraham Healthy Living Center. There are two locations on the Rochester campus. These sites encompass more than 127,000 square feet and incorporate state-of-the-art equipment and services.
Physical support services that help you achieve optimal health and energy include:
- HIIT workouts for resiliency video series
- Health services
- Access to disability and accommodations physician
- Enrichment series on food, nutrition, and wellness
- Current learners: View our internal physical well-being resources
Our office provides the accommodations to ensure equal access to education for all learners. Learners who have been admitted to one of our programs and have disabilities or health conditions may need accommodations to participate in orientation and/or educational program activities. Learners seeking accommodations or support services are required to register with our office. An academic success counselor will guide you through the policies and procedures about accommodations.
For assistance, please contact Kara James at email@example.com.
Student and trainee benefits
Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science offers highly competitive benefits and health care coverage for eligible learners. Specific benefits differ based on the school and program you are attending:
- Residents and fellows
- Ph.D., M.D.-Ph.D., and research students
- M.D. students
- Health sciences students
The Mayo Clinic College of Medicine Sponsored Health Insurance Plan is designed specifically for eligible learners and their dependents with an emphasis on wellness.
Qualified learners also have access to subsidized dental and vision insurance, term life insurance, disability insurance, and more.
Getting health care as a learner
Through Primary Care Connection, Mayo Clinic has developed partnerships with primary care teams on each campus specifically for learners. This service gives learners the ability to establish a relationship with a primary care provider for general health checkups and acute care.
Learners can also take advantage of:
- Telehealth medical appointments
- A student assistance program where learners have access to special work-life programming
- Discounts on health care-related items
- Global emergency services
- Fitness facilities — learners at our three campuses have access to on-site fitness facilities and discounted membership fees to area gyms. In Rochester, learners can join the Dan Abraham Healthy Living Center. There are two locations on the Rochester campus. These sites encompass more than 127,000 square feet and incorporate state-of-the-art equipment and services.
- Healthy Living Program — learners in Rochester can join a wellness program designed by leading health and wellness experts at Mayo Clinic.
Visit the Mayo Clinic employee discount program website (log-in required) to learn more the wide range of discounts available to learners, including those related to health and wellness.