Admissions and Application Process
Submission deadlines and admissions timeline
At Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine, we look for more than bright minds. We seek students who want to change lives, transform health care, and define the future of medicine. Ensure you are prepared, and learn more about our submission items and deadlines.
|Early May||AMCAS application opens|
|June 1-Oct. 1||Application window|
|August-November||Applicants invited to interview|
|September-December||Campus interviews take place|
|Oct. 15||Deadline to post MCAT scores to AMCAS application|
|Oct. 15||Deadline to submit transcripts|
|Nov. 1||Deadline to submit secondary application and fee|
|Nov. 1||Deadline to submit letters of recommendation|
|February||Applicants initially offered acceptance|
|February||Applicants offered alternate list positions|
|March-June||Applicants accepted from the alternate list|
|June 15||Deadline to submit official transcript from undergraduate or Pharm.D. conferring school|
Prerequisites and requirements
Review the academic and test prerequisites and technical standards for students applying for admission to the M.D. Program at Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine.
Find out more about our M.D. Program's acceptance rate and admissions statistics.
How to apply
Students in the M.D. Program receive outstanding integrated clinical and research training, and also acquire the skills to be leaders in an ever-changing and challenging health care environment. We encourage you to apply and join us for an unparalleled medical training experience.
M.D. Program application requirements
All applications submitted to AMCAS must include the following:
- Online AMCAS application: Submit your application during the application window, between June 1-Oct. 1.
- Transcripts: Transcripts for all previously completed academic programs must be submitted to AMCAS by Oct. 15.
- Application processing/secondary fee: Applicants selected for secondary review will be required to pay a $120 processing fee by Nov. 1 (unless granted a fee waiver by AMCAS).
- Letters of recommendation: Applicants must submit a minimum of three individual letters or one committee letter. Review Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine letters of recommendation requirements and submit letters of recommendation through the AMCAS Letter Service by Nov. 1.
- MCAT: The highest MCAT will be reviewed. Only MCAT scores reported within three years of an applicant's matriculation year are considered. Our current MCAT threshold for further consideration is a score of 508.
M.D.-Ph.D. training program application
If you are interested in M.D.-Ph.D. training, visit the Medical Scientist Training Program website for more information.
Complete the online application through the American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS). Applications are accepted June 1 through Oct. 1. Given the highly competitive nature of our program, early submission of application materials is strongly encouraged.
As a national medical school, Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine has one AMCAS application for our three campuses in Arizona, Florida, and Minnesota. Applicants who meet our MCAT threshold of 508 will be considered to receive our secondary application.
Applicants invited to complete a secondary application will have the opportunity to select and rank up to four campus track options:
- Arizona 4-Year Track. The Arizona campus is your home base for all four years.
- Minnesota 4-Year Track. The Minnesota campus is your home base for all four years.
- Arizona/Florida Track. You complete preclinical coursework on the Arizona campus and then clinical clerkships on the Florida campus.
- Minnesota/Florida Track. You complete preclinical coursework on the Minnesota campus and then clinical clerkships on the Florida campus.
Applicants must select at least one campus track option. Options ranked will be considered at the time of interview invitation and acceptance.
An application is considered complete when the secondary application has been submitted, the $120 fee has been paid or waived, and the minimum number of letters of recommendation has been met.
Secondary application questions
Each essay must be 500 words or less.
- Why are you specifically interested in pursuing your medical education at Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine? Please tell us in a few sentences why you are interested in the top track choice you indicated.
- Each of us relates to others through characteristics that make up our individual diversity. Tell us how your diversity is reflected not only in your personal and professional activities, but also in your relationship with others, particularly in diverse learning environments.
Letters of recommendation
Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine requires a minimum of three letters of recommendation or one composite letter from a premedical committee to supplement your application.
Guidelines for letters of recommendation
- Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine only accepts letters submitted through the American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS) Letter Service. Letters sent directly to the school are not accepted. Applicants are encouraged to visit the letter service page on the AMCAS website for more information. To ensure efficient processing of your letters by AMCAS, carefully follow all instructions.
- We require at least one letter to be written by a science professor in the life sciences or physical sciences. A letter from a teaching assistant is also acceptable.
- Examples of letters writers include: research mentors, employers, volunteer supervisors, physicians with whom you have worked or shadowed, teachers and professors, and other professionals.
- Letters should be written by people who know you well and whose opinions convey the likelihood of your success in medical school.
- Letters from family and friends are not accepted.
- A maximum of 10 letters are accepted.
- The deadline to submit letters of recommendation is Nov. 1.
Application review process
Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine has a separate admissions committee for each campus. Each of these committees is composed of current and retired Mayo Clinic staff, administrators, residents, medical students, and professional members of the community. These three admissions committees report to the Admissions Executive Committee that governs admissions for all campuses of the national medical school.
The admissions committee members review applications until all interview slots have been filled for the cycle. We encourage applicants to apply as early as they can.
The committee considers these factors when selecting applicants for interview:
- Academic performance
- MCAT score (at or above 508)
- GPA (no minimum GPA requirement)
- Depth and breadth of all experiences, such as community and volunteer service, leadership, research, exposure to and exploration of medicine, artistic and athletic endeavors, and work experiences
- Personal statement
- Letters of recommendation
Learn more about the M.D. Program prerequisites and admissions requirements.
Interviews allow us to meet the applicants we have read so much about! These interviews also allow applicants to meet the admissions committee members, current students, and some of their potential classmates. We are happy to answer all of your questions and look forward to meeting you!
Depending on your selection and rank of campus track in the secondary application, you could be invited to interview with any of our three campuses.
Applicants who select more than one campus track option will only be invited to interview with one campus, taking into consideration the specific rank of preference. That interview will count as your interview for the other campus tracks that were selected in your secondary application.
Interviews are virtual, video interviews.
Interview invitations are emailed August through November, and conducted from September through December. These time frames are subject to change.
Each admissions committee reviews completed applications and selects qualified applicants for interviews. Completed applications will start being reviewed on July 19.
If invited to interview, applicants will receive campus-specific information.
Applicants invited to interview will participate in:
- Welcome sessions
- Two, one-on-one, 30-minute, virtual interviews
- A virtual tour of campus
- Connecting with current students
- Question-and-answer sessions
Our goal is to make sure you are just as connected to us virtually, as you would be if you were visiting on campus. We want you to feel at home!
Our admissions committees meet weekly throughout the admissions cycle to deliberate on applicant interviews. We encourage applicants to stay in touch by uploading update letters into the admissions portal. Our committee members enjoy reading these updates!
Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine does not have an early decision program or rolling admissions.
We like to hear from our applicants! Significant application updates are accepted after an applicant has been invited for an interview.
- Updates should be uploaded directly into the admissions portal as a PDF document.
- We do not require or accept any updates to transcripts or grades.
- Materials should not be mailed to our office unless specifically requested.
- Application statuses can be checked through the admissions portal throughout the admissions cycle.
We make acceptance decisions when all interviews are complete on each campus, and when our admissions committees have deliberated on all applicants.
Initial offers of acceptance are typically made in mid-February. The Admissions Executive Committee could consider all campus track options that an applicant indicated on their secondary application at the time of acceptance, regardless of where they interviewed. All offers of acceptance begin with a phone call from a member of our admissions committee to the accepted applicant.
Alternate list notifications are sent once initial offers of acceptance have been communicated. Offers of acceptance from the alternate list may be extended between March and June.
Once initial acceptances and alternate list offers are made, we will notify applicants of initial rejections. Rejections from the alternate list will be made at the end of the admissions season.
Accepted applicants will be invited to attend a virtual second look information session, as well as the opportunity to visit our campus in-person in the spring.
Requests for deferred matriculation are only available to accepted applicants.
Accepted applicants who would like to apply for deferral must write to the Office of Admissions stating their reason for requesting deferral and their proposed plans for the duration of the deferral by June 1. Deferred matriculation requests are not guaranteed to be granted. If approved, deferrals are typically granted for one year to two years.
Applicants can find more information on the AAMC website about the AMCAS Choose Your Medical School Tool.
Applicants should notify all schools promptly of their enrollment plan in accordance with the AAMC Application and Acceptance Protocols for Applicants. Applicants who do not comply with this protocol may be subject to having their acceptance rescinded.
Please keep in mind the following information and deadlines specific to the Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine:
|February||AMCAS Choose Your Medical School tool becomes available for applicants to indicate their enrollment plan. Applicants can only select Plan to Enroll at one medical school at a time, but can hold as many acceptance offers and alternate list positions as they choose.|
|April 15||Accepted applicants must narrow accepted offers to three medical schools. An applicant can remain on as many alternate lists for other medical schools as they choose.|
|May 1||Accepted applicants planning to enroll at Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine must select the Plan to Enroll option in the AMCAS Choose your Medical School tool through their AMCAS application. Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine will be able to see which applicants selected Plan to Enroll at Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine. An applicant may remain on as many alternate lists for other medical schools as they choose until they select Commit to Enroll.|
|May 1||Commit to Enroll option becomes available for accepted applicants to select in the AMCAS Choose Your Medical School tool. Commit to Enroll can only be selected for one medical school.|
|June 7||Accepted applicants that will matriculate at Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine must select the Commit to Enroll option in the Choose Your Medical School tool.|