Duration: 6 weeks
Class size: 2 students
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Cardiovascular technology is a medical specialty that focuses on providing the skill and knowledge to assist physicians with the diagnosis and treatment of heart and blood vessel ailments. This internship provides intensive training in two subspecialty areas: cardiac ultrasound and invasive cardiology.
You must successfully complete the required pre-professional and professional college coursework before you are eligible to begin.
Upon successful completion of the internship and Cardiovascular Technology program, you will receive an Associate of Science degree from Florida State College at Jacksonville.
Program graduates will be eligible to sit for the Registered Cardiovascular Invasive Specialist (RCIS) exam offered by Cardiovascular Credentialing International (CCI).
How to apply
Florida State College at Jacksonville processes the admissions and applications for the Cardiovascular Technology program and helps students plan their cardiovascular technology rotations at Mayo Clinic.
This internship prepares individuals for professional practice in a hospital, clinic, physician's office or mobile diagnostic unit.
During the internship, learning experiences allow the intern to:
- Gain exposure to cardiac catheterization procedures and interventions, with hands-on training and didactic instruction
- Understand the dynamics and workflow of a Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory
- Demonstrate knowledge of procedures performed in the Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory, including left and right heart catheterizations, heart biopsies, and interventional procedures
- Become familiar with equipment used in the Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory, including Hemochron unit for activated clotting times (ACT), Avoximeter unit for O2 saturations, Medrad contrast injector, intra-aortic balloon pump unit, AngioJet thrombectomy system, Radi pressure wire system, intravascular or intra-coronary ultrasound, biphasic defibrillation units, and additional equipment needed to perform a procedure
- Develop the confidence and knowledge needed to take the Registered Cardiovascular Invasive Specialist (RCIS) exam offered by Cardiovascular Credentialing International (CCI)
- Observe and understand the pre- and post-procedure care given to the cardiovascular patient
- Understand and have respect for the patient's needs and rights before, during, and after a cardiac catheterization procedure
- Demonstrate the skills necessary to function as a circulator, recorder and scrub assistant
- Gain further understanding of the skills necessary to work as a competent cardiovascular technologist
For the majority of the internship, the schedule is Monday through Friday. Hours vary with rotation and program requirements.
Tuition and financial aid
Tuition rates are determined by and paid to Florida State College at Jacksonville. There are no additional fees for the Cardiovascular Technology Internship at Mayo Clinic.
You are responsible for your own living accommodations and transportation.