Discover what a career in health care looks like and get an exclusive inside look at a wide range of health care careers. You are invited to apply to be a part of a talented group of diverse, Minnesota high school incoming juniors and seniors at our weeklong Career Immersion Program offered June 21-26, 2020. During this week-long program, Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences will pull back the curtain and share insights and information about several careers most students don’t even know exist. The program includes:
- Discovery about the most in-demand careers in health care
- Connecting with health sciences professionals
- Hands-on exposure to health sciences career opportunities
- Understanding the academic path for enrolling in health sciences programs
- Meeting current Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences students, staff, and faculty
- Gaining knowledge on what professionalism is in the health care setting
- Networking with other students
There are dozens of careers in health care. Some you have definitely heard of, like doctors and nurses; but there are many careers you may not have any knowledge of, like radiographers who help patients and take X-rays, and respiratory therapists who work with patients who have trouble breathing. While the Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences does not train physicians and nurses, the school offers training in over 50 health sciences professions.
Full-tuition scholarships are awarded to accepted students. This includes:
- Meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks)
- Transportation to and from designated Twin Cities pickup location
- Student housing in Rochester with on-site program directors
- Social activities in the Rochester area
Who should apply
Each year we seek to enroll a diverse group of Minnesota high school rising juniors and seniors. Applications are therefore taken from current sophomores and juniors (2019-2020 academic year) in public, private, charter, or home-based high schools, who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents, and have a minimum GPA of 2.75.
In order to establish a group of Career Immersion Program students that reflects both the organization Mayo Clinic seeks to be and the patients we serve, Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences especially encourages applications from students who belong to any of the following groups:
- Future first-generation college students or students enrolled in TRIO, Upward Bound, and College Possible
- Black or African-American
- Hispanic or Latino
- American Indian or Alaska Native
- Native Hawaiian or U.S. Pacific Islander
- Students receiving free and or reduced school lunches
Admitted students are expected to:
- Submit all required paperwork by the deadline as noted in the admission letter
- Be available to participate in the program the entire week
- Be responsible for obtaining the correct clothing for the program, including dress shoes
- Share dietary or other accommodations in advance
- Be current and up-to-date on all required immunizations for Minnesota high school students
- Abide by the code of conduct established by the program
How to apply
Applications are accepted beginning Dec. 1, 2019 through Mar. 1, 2020. Your application and all supporting documentation must be submitted and received by Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences by 5 p.m. central time March 1, 2019.
We highly encourage you to print these instructions or have them on another screen as you complete your application. The application works best completed on a PC.
1. Online application. Prior to submission of an application, you must create an account. Note the following as you create an account and begin completing an application.
- On the Create an Account page:
- For School of Study → select School of Health Sciences
- For Location → select Rochester, MN
- For Area of Interest → select Career Immersion Program
- For Start Date → Choose date
- For Entry Term → Select term available
- On the My Account page:
- Scroll down to Next Steps → select Start an Application
- On the Online Application page:
- Verify that the program listed is what you want
- Click Continue with Application Selected Above
- On the Application Listing page:
- Select Start a New Full Application
2. Online application. The sections below are located in the application. You may complete them in order or click on the section you want on the left.
- Program of Interest:
- Review populated data for accuracy
- Complete Reapplying and Education Completed questions
- Personal Information:
- Review populated data
- Complete any other fields
- If you didn't enter an address or phone number before, you will be required to enter it now
- Demographic Data
- Fill in as necessary
- Add education
- Add work experience
- Standardized Testing:
- Not required
- Professional Licensing and Registration
- Not required
- Please answer the following within the application: Describe your interest in health science careers.
- Do not answer the questions listed in the application.
- Signature and Submit:
- Certify and sign your application
- Submit your application
3. Complete the recommendations and supplemental items. After submitting the application, select "Click here to upload program-specific supplemental item(s)" and upload all supplemental items under the "Supplemental Items" box:
- Recommendation: Enter an email address of the person that will be completing the online recommendation form.
- Educational reference. Choose a person familiar with your educational qualifications and your potential for success in the Career Immersion Program. This may include a current teacher, counselor, coach, or principal.
** If you don't complete these at the time of submission, visit your "My Account" page and navigate to your application for a link to complete.
The selection committee carefully reviews each application. Individuals considered for admission into the program will be contacted for a short interview in early spring.
2019 profile of Career Immersion Program accepted students
|Student class data||Range of high school GPAs|
Rising juniors: 16
3.67 and above: 41%