Program length: 2 months
Class size: 12 students (2 at a time, 6 times a year)
Location: Rochester, Minnesota
This internship provides students a clinical rotation site with primary emphasis on autopsy. While national autopsy rates have declined, Mayo Clinic averages more than 500 forensic and hospital autopsy cases each year at its Rochester campus. You will participate in evisceration, prosection, slide review, and written documentation of autopsy findings.
Interns also rotate through Mayo Clinic's unique frozen section labs at the Saint Marys campus and Methodist campus of Mayo Clinic Hospital — Rochester. You are exposed to the gross and microscopic examination of complex surgical specimens. You also spend time in the Hilton Gross Cutting Laboratory, where you will handle cardiovascular and liver explant specimens.
Graduation and certification
Upon successful completion of the internship, you receive a certificate of completion from Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences.
Each year, Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences admits up to 12 students to its Pathologists' Assistant Internship. Two students participate in the internship at a time, and new students begin every two months.
To be eligible for the internship, you must have completed the first year of Quinnipiac University's Master of Health Science Pathologists' Assistant Program and have a bachelor's degree in biological sciences.
Qualified candidates typically possess these general characteristics:
- Aptitude for the basic sciences, computers, and instrumentation
- Ability to work quickly and carefully
- Self-sufficiency, precision, and thoroughness
- Ability to maintain emotional stability under pressure
- Critical-thinking and problem-solving skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
Positions in the internship are assigned by your program director at Quinnipiac University. You will then be required to complete Mayo's application.
Complete the following steps to apply:
- Create an account to begin the online Application for Admission
- Select – Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences
- Select – Pathologists' Assistant Internship
- Complete each section of the application and submit
- After submission, view the required Supplemental Items and Documents
- Upload each required item in the Supplemental Items section
- Complete the Recommendation Request section
If accepted, you will receive some additional forms by mail. Fill out and return forms to Employee Occupational Health Service and Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences in the envelopes provided.
Tuition and financial aid
Tuition rates for the Pathologists' Assistant Internship are determined by and paid to Quinnipiac University. Mayo Clinic charges no additional fees.
You are responsible for your living accommodations and transportation.
The internship prepares students to work in an anatomic pathology lab. Instruction is hands-on in our state-of-the-art labs.
Additional educational opportunities include:
- Heart cutting conference
- Lung cutting conference
- Brain cutting conference
- Resident conferences
- Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences events
For the majority of the internship, your schedule is Monday through Friday with occasional weekends. Hours may vary by rotation.
See accreditation information for Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science.