Duration: 1-2 consecutive semesters
Class size: 4 students
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
To participate in the Social Work Internship, you must be enrolled at our affiliated academic institution, Florida State University College of Social Work in Tallahassee, Florida. It is suggested that all coursework be completed prior to the internship.
This internship provides the in-depth clinical knowledge and skills that students need to deliver comprehensive social services as well-rounded medical social workers. You will work with physicians, nurses, administrators, social workers and other allied health professionals as a respected member of the patient care team.
You will learn at an internationally renowned medical center that includes a large designated cancer center and organ transplantation program and serve a large, diverse patient population with common and uncommon medical conditions.
As a social work intern, you help patients and their families cope with chronic, acute or terminal illnesses, addressing problems that impede recovery or rehabilitation. You may organize support groups for families of people undergoing organ transplants or who have cancer, AIDS, Alzheimer's disease or other illnesses.
You also advise family caregivers, counsel patients and help plan for patients' needs after discharge by arranging at-home services, from meals-on-wheels to oxygen equipment.
You are expected to know the biopsychosocial aspects of human behavior and social work practice principles. You also must have effective communication skills and the motivation to contribute in an interdisciplinary medical setting.
Applicants are not selected based on grades alone, but your college or university cumulative GPA should be at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
Students who have fulfilled all required coursework from their home academic institution are eligible for graduation after completing the internship.
How to apply
Your application and all supporting documentation must be received at least two months prior to the start of the semester.
- Submit application materials.
- Official transcript of all college and university credits
- Statement of professional goals (one-page maximum)
- Writing sample
Send these materials in one envelope to:
Elaine R. Gustetic
Outpatient Social Work Manager
Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences
4500 San Pablo Road
Jacksonville, FL 32224
- Contact education coordinator. The Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences education coordinator supplies candidates with all required application materials.
- Interviews. Applicants considered for an appointment may be invited to visit Mayo Clinic's campus in Jacksonville, Florida, for a personal interview with the program coordinator and practicum instructor.
- Acceptance. When an appointment offer is made, your reply is requested within one week. Your appointment to the internship depends upon successful completion of the health review and background check.
During the internship, you participate in:
- Patient care rounds
- Multidisciplinary patient care team conferences
- Staff and committee meetings
- Program and policy development and implementation
- Supervision with field instructor and other staff
- Training and education activities
As a social work intern, you:
- Conduct psychosocial assessments and clinical interventions that include psychosocial diagnosis, treatment and follow-up
- Participate in patient case management and discharge planning
- Make referrals to community resources
- Provide patient and family education
- Facilitate support groups
- Become proficient in utilization review
You are assigned a field instructor who is a staff member with two or more years of clinical experience. Your field instructor supervises your clinical assignments. A master's-level social worker coordinates the internship and supervises the field instructors and students. The coordinator is also the liaison to each intern's academic institution.
For the majority of the internship, your learning schedule is determined by the requirements of Florida State University. This typically includes eight-hour days, two to five days a week, depending on the semester and your hour requirements.
Tuition and financial aid
Tuition rates are determined by and paid to the Florida State University College of Social Work. Mayo Clinic charges no additional fees.
You are responsible for providing your living accommodations and transportation. Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences may be able to assist with locating housing options for the duration of the internship.
You may hold outside employment during the internship if it does not conflict with your educational responsibilities.