Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences offers a one-year Audiology Externship at Mayo Clinic's campus in Rochester, Minnesota. This program provides in-depth clinical knowledge and skills that enable you to provide high-quality, comprehensive audiology care. Education focuses on providing patient care and state-of-the-art clinical audiology services to patients of all ages.
To develop as a well-rounded, competent audiologist, you are provided with these in-depth clinical experiences:
- Pediatric and adult audiological evaluations
- Rotational chair testing
- Canalith repositioning procedures
- Vestibular evoked myogenic potentials
- Auditory evoked potentials
- Otoacoustic emissions
- Hearing aid selection, fitting, and dispensing
- Adult aural rehabilitation programs
- Cochlear implant evaluation and programming
- Newborn hearing screening
- Tinnitus counseling
- Equipment calibration
- Opportunity for clinical research
- Opportunity for quality improvement projects
- Local presentations within the department of otorhinolaryngology and Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences
- Opportunity to present at a national audiology conference
See accreditation information for Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science.
Mayo Clinic's Division of Audiology employs 26 audiologists and nine audiology assistants. Audiology care providers see patients of all ages with hearing and balance problems. Each year, audiologists at Mayo Clinic perform more than 35,000 procedures and tests. Audiology is a part of the Department of Otorhinolaryngology — Head and Neck Surgery at Mayo Clinic.
Mayo Clinic's campus in Rochester, Minnesota, includes an extensive outpatient complex, Mayo Clinic Hospital — Rochester, and substantial research and education facilities. This Mayo Clinic site is among the largest, most advanced medical centers in the world.
Graduation and certification
Upon successful completion of the Audiology Externship, you receive a certificate of completion from Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences.
For the majority of the externship, you are in the clinic setting Monday through Friday. You will rotate occasional weekends for newborn hearing screening.
Each year, Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences admits two students to its Audiology Externship. This ensures that you receive tailored instruction and a comprehensive educational experience.