Vet Student Opportunities
The Department of Comparative Medicine at Mayo Clinic has two programs for veterinary students to explore the laboratory animal medicine specialty. Externs and fellows are provided mentored experiences in animal care and use at Mayo Clinic.
Veterinary Student Externship Program
The Mayo Clinic Department of Comparative Medicine (DCM) offers a two-week externship in laboratory animal medicine for veterinary students during their clinical training.
Externs spend the majority of their time actively participating in veterinary care with the residents and faculty. Dedicated time is also scheduled for wet labs in rodent and rabbit handling and experimental techniques; observation of large animal experimental procedures; and perioperative care of large animals. All externs attend IACUC meetings and gain exposure to the veterinary pre-review of animal research proposals. During the academic year, externs will participate in resident didactic training sessions including seminars, board review, and journal club.
Externs interested in applying for the Minnesota Laboratory Animal Medicine Consortium residency program have the opportunity to meet with the Mayo Clinic residency program director and may spend a day at the University of Minnesota during their externship.
Contact Dr. Chris Gow with questions or to schedule an externship.
ASLAP Foundation Summer Fellowship Program
This program provides a 12-week paid fellowship. Fellows join faculty and residents on clinical rounds, participate in didactic and hands-on training opportunities, and complete a research project.
- Veterinary students who have completed their first or second year of veterinary school with a demonstrated interest in laboratory animal medicine.
- Applicants must be from an AVMA-accredited/recognized college/school, and a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
Send all application materials to Dr. Felicia Boynton with the subject line — ASLAP Summer Fellowship Application. Include the following materials:
- Cover letter
- Unofficial veterinary school transcript
- Two standardized letters of recommendation using this form
- Applications are due Friday, Feb. 2, 2024.
- Select applicants will be invited for virtual interviews between Feb. 5-29, 2024.
- Offers may be made any time between the scheduled interview and March 1.
- Applicants may accept or decline at any time but are not required to do so until March 1.
The fellowship will be offered to the best candidate based on the application materials and interview as determined by the selection committee.