Program length: 4-16 weeks
Class size: Varies
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
This rotation gives students a challenging and diverse clinical experience by working with physicians and professional nurse practitioner staff in a multidisciplinary health care team environment.
Students observe and participate at Mayo Clinic, a comprehensive health care facility that offers:
- A caring, collaborative environment
- State-of-the-art diagnostic, therapeutic, and research facilities
- A large, diverse patient population
- An environment based on a team approach with a commitment to mutual respect
Requests for a clinical rotation must be made each semester by the student's clinical faculty. Rotation requests may not be submitted by students.
Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
|Spring (January - May)||Completed rotation request form and student applications due Oct. 15|
|Summer (May - August)||Completed rotation request form and student applications due Feb. 15|
|Fall (August - December)||Completed rotation request form and student applications due May 15|
For admission to the rotation, you must:
- Have graduated from an accredited school of nursing
- Be enrolled in the master's-level nurse practitioner program at one of our affiliated academic institutions: Jacksonville University, University of Florida College of Nursing, or University of North Florida
- Be in good academic standing
When you successfully complete the criteria for the nurse practitioner coursework at your affiliated school, you are eligible to apply to take the American Nurses Credentialing Center or the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners national certification examination in your specialty practice area.
How to apply
1. ARNP request form. Have the program coordinator at your institution complete the ARNP Clinical Request Form and submit it to the Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences program coordinator. This form will only be accepted from your institution. Forms will not be accepted from students.
2. Online application. Complete the online application for admission. After you create an account in the ApplyYourself tool, select Application for Admission. Returning students will only need to complete this application once.
3. Review and acceptance. The Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences Education Committee reviews and approves the applications and works directly with the affiliated schools to place accepted students.
If you are a Mayo Clinic employee who is an existing nurse practitioner enrolled for your DNP degree, please apply through the DNP Academic Support Program. The DNP application can be found on the Doctor of Nursing Academic Support Program intranet page.
Tuition and financial aid
Tuition is paid to your college or university. Mayo Clinic charges no additional fees for the clinical rotation.
You are responsible for your living accommodations and transportation.
You may hold outside employment during the program if it does not conflict with your program responsibilities.
The rotation involves intensive clinical practicums, with a focus on providing care to patients, under the supervision of qualified nurse practitioners, physician assistants, or physician preceptors.
Your college or university program director determines and develops the coursework and laboratory experiences and makes arrangements for placement into clinical rotations.
Clinical rotations are available in the following areas:
- Primary care family practice
- Hospital internal medicine
- Heart transplant and heart failure
- Nephrology and kidney transplant
- Hepatology and liver transplant
- Critical care medicine
- Cardiothoracic surgery
- General and colorectal surgery
Please keep in mind that availability is limited and certain areas may not always be available. The hours for your clinical rotation will match your preceptor's schedule. Once your clinical rotation is finalized, you will receive information on who your preceptor is and you can discuss setting up your clinical schedule with him or her.
Your college or university maintains accreditation for its nurse practitioner program and can provide more information.
See accreditation information for Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science.