Duration: 4-16 weeks
Class size: Varies
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
This rotation gives students a challenging and diverse clinical experience by working with physicians and professional nurse practitioner staff in a multidisciplinary health care team environment.
Students observe and participate at Mayo Clinic, a comprehensive health care facility that offers:
- A caring, collaborative environment
- State-of-the-art diagnostic, therapeutic, and research facilities
- A large, diverse patient population
- An environment based on a team approach with a commitment to mutual respect
For admission to the rotation, you must:
- Have graduated from an accredited school of nursing
- Be enrolled in the master's-level nurse practitioner program at one of our affiliated academic institutions: Jacksonville University, University of Florida College of Nursing, or University of North Florida
- Be in good academic standing
When you successfully complete the criteria for the nurse practitioner coursework at your affiliated school, you are eligible to apply to take the American Nurses Credentialing Center or the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners national certification examination in your specialty practice area.
How to apply
- Online application. Complete the online Application for Admission. After you sign in to the ApplyYourself tool, select Application for Admission. Returning students will only need to complete this application once.
- ARNP request form. Have the program coordinator at your institution complete the ARNP Clinical Request Form and submit it to the Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences program coordinator. This form will only be accepted from your institution. Forms will not be accepted from students.
- Review and acceptance. The Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences Education Committee reviews and approves the applications and works directly with the affiliated schools to place accepted students.
If you are a Mayo Clinic employee who is an existing nurse practitioner enrolled for your DNP degree, please apply through the DNP Academic Support Program. The DNP application can be found on the Doctor of Nursing Academic Support Program intranet page.
Student prioritization for clinical rotations
- Prior Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences student
- Mayo Clinic employee
- Student enrolled in an affiliated university
In addition to these criteria, other factors for admission will be considered such as the student application and recommendations from clinical faculty.
Requests for a clinical rotation must be made each semester by the student's clinical faculty. Rotation requests may not be submitted by students.
Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
|Spring (January - May)||Completed rotation request form and student applications due Oct. 15|
|Summer (May - August)||Completed rotation request form and student applications due Feb. 15|
|Fall (August - December)||Completed rotation request form and student applications due May 15|
The rotation involves intensive clinical practicums, with a focus on providing care to patients, under the supervision of qualified nurse practitioners, physician assistants, or physician preceptors.
Your college or university program director determines and develops the coursework and laboratory experiences and makes arrangements for placement into clinical rotations.
Clinical rotations are available in the following areas. Please keep in mind that availability is limited and certain areas may not always be available.
- Primary care family practice
- Hospital internal medicine
- Heart transplant and heart failure
- Nephrology and kidney transplant
- Hepatology and liver transplant
- Critical care medicine
- Cardiothoracic surgery
- General and colorectal surgery
The hours for your clinical rotation will match your preceptor's schedule. Once your clinical rotation is finalized, you will receive information on who your preceptor is and you can discuss setting up your clinical schedule with him or her.
Tuition and financial aid
Tuition is paid to your college or university. Mayo Clinic charges no additional fees for the clinical rotation.
You are responsible for your living accommodations and transportation.
You may hold outside employment during the program if it does not conflict with your program responsibilities.