The 54-week Physical Therapy Neurologic Residency at Mayo Clinic's campus in Rochester, Minnesota, is designed to significantly advance your preparation as a provider of patient and client care services in the area of neurologic clinical practice.
The program includes activities that promote your continued integration of practice, research, and scholarly inquiry consistent with the program's mission and philosophy.
Residency components include:
- Independent patient care
- One-on-one mentoring
- A final project
- Teaching responsibilities
- Planned didactic and laboratory coursework designed to provide a basis for advanced clinical practice
Residents are licensed physical therapists and receive a stipend and benefits package.
Completion and certification
Upon successful completion of the Physical Therapy Neurologic Residency, you receive a certificate of completion from Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences.
Graduates are eligible to take the neurology specialist certification examination administered by the ABPTS.
The Physical Therapy Neurologic Residency is accredited by the American Board of Physical Therapy Residency and Fellowship Education (ABPTRFE) council of the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA).
See accreditation information for Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science.
Program mission and goals
Mission: To develop highly skilled physical therapist practitioners who provide the best care, outcomes, and patient management within the neurologic specialty practice.
- Support the mission, vision, and values of Mayo Clinic to inspire hope and contribute to optimal patient health and well-being by providing the best care to every patient through integrated clinical practice, education, and research
- Promote Mayo Clinic's reputation as an industry leader of excellence in clinical practice and become a nationally recognized provider for post-professional clinical training within the area of neurologic physical therapy
- Prepare you to be a highly skilled critical thinker who embraces lifelong learning and is grounded in the principles of evidence-based practice
- Develop skilled neurologic physical therapy practitioners who are able to provide an unparalleled patient experience at Mayo Clinic, the most trusted partner in health care
- Provide an avenue for you to achieve board certification in neurology through the American Board of Physical Therapy Specialties (ABPTS)