How to Apply
Class size and location
The Advanced Cardiovascular Sonography Program admits eight students every year on a competitive basis. Class sizes and clinical groups are small, with one-on-one instruction provided.
While coursework is completed online, the clinical internship requires an on-site presence in a Mayo Clinic echo lab in Rochester, Minnesota.
Admission requirements and policies
To be eligible for the Advanced Cardiovascular Sonography Program, you must have:
- A bachelor's degree or higher in any field
- An adult echocardiography credential from the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography (RDCS) or Cardiovascular Credentialing International (RCS)
- Employer verification letter detailing the equivalent of three years of clinical experience in echocardiography
Candidates must meet the technical standards, with or without reasonable accommodation, necessary to acquire or demonstrate competence in health professions. The Advanced Cardiovascular Sonography Program has identified nine theme areas as essential functions for the program's technical standards:
- Psychomotor skills and mobility
- Interpersonal behavior and social skills
- Cognitive-intellectual skills
- Problem-solving and organizational skills
- Computer skills
A summary of required abilities includes:
- Sufficient motor functions to perform basic life support, transfer and position patients, and position and operate health care and imaging equipment, as well as the capability to manipulate multiple objects simultaneously
- Sufficient sensory and observation abilities in order to differentiate subtle variations in color, shape and texture; observe patients from a distance or close at hand; hear audio and see visual alarms; and read various forms of documentation
- The ability to read and comprehend written instructions and documents independently
Applicants must be able to perform the essential functions of the profession and meet the standards of the curriculum. To seek exceptions to these standards or reasonable accommodations, students accepted for admission must initiate a request with the program director at least six weeks before the program begins.
Though Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science is a participant in the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA), the State of California is not. As such, we are not authorized to provide distance education in the State of California, and therefore do not accept students from California into the Advanced Cardiac Sonography Program.
See the Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences non-U.S. citizen applicant's policy.
Your application and all supporting documentation must be submitted between Nov. 1 and Feb. 1 for classes beginning late August.
|Application window||Program start date||Apply|
|Nov. 1 – Feb. 1, 2020||August 2020||Online application|
|Nov. 1 – Feb. 1, 2021||August 2021||Online application|
Complete the following steps to apply:
- Create an account to begin the online Application for Admission
- Select - Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences
- Select – Advanced Cardiovascular Sonography Program
- Complete each section of the application and submit
- After submission, view the required Supplemental Items and Documents
- Upload each required item in the Supplemental Items section
- Complete the Recommendation Request section
Additional required items
- Essay should be between 300-500 words and include the following. Upload it in the Supplemental Items section.
- Why are you choosing the Advanced Cardiovascular Sonography Program at Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences?
- Two letters of recommendation are required and must be completed in the Recommendation Request section. Each recommender will receive an email with a link to complete a rating form and upload a letter.
- Professional: Choose a physician from your facility who interprets echocardiograms and can speak to your cardiac sonography experience and exam quality. It is preferred that your physician reference holds an FACC or FASE credential, but this is not a requirement.
- Professional: Choose a person familiar with your professional qualities and your potential success in the field of echocardiography. References may include employers, supervisors, or sonographer colleagues.
- Evidence of current credentialing status from the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography or Cardiovascular Credentialing International.
- Documentation of the equivalent of three years' experience as an adult cardiac sonographer.
- Official transcripts of all college and university credits must be mailed from the institution directly to:
Advanced Cardiovascular Sonography Program
Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences
Gonda Building, Room 6-138
200 First St. SW
Rochester, MN 55905
What happens after I submit my application?
Interviews. Applicants considered for an appointment are invited to visit Mayo Clinic's campus in Rochester, Minnesota, for a personal interview with the admissions committee. Only the top-ranked applicants are invited for an interview. A scanning skills evaluation will follow the panel interview. Interview expenses incurred by applicants are not reimbursed.
Acceptance. Admission letters are mailed by the end of May. Your reply is requested within two weeks.