The Cardiovascular Diseases Advanced Practice Provider Fellowship at Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Florida, is a competitive postgraduate program for nurse practitioners (NPs) or physician assistants (PAs). Upon completion of this 12-month fellowship, you will be more confident in your cardiovascular knowledge for ease of transition into your future role as an advanced practice provider (APP) in cardiology.
The program provides mentored clinical experience in all aspects of adult cardiovascular disease management, including:
- Cardiovascular diagnostics
- Cardiac health and performance
- Interventional cardiology
- Vascular disease
- Structural heart disease
- Advanced heart disease failure
- Cardiac transplantation
- Adult congenital heart disease
- Cardiothoracic surgery
This fellowship aims to provide you with the ability to:
- Analyze pathophysiology for various cardiovascular disease processes
- Develop cardiovascular diagnoses, formulate a treatment plan, and evaluate patient response to treatment
- Use evidence-based medicine practices using quality, cost-effective care
- Educate patients and families regarding the cardiovascular disease process while remaining cognizant of the patient's emotional, physical, and cultural needs
- Develop organizational skills to manage a patient caseload
- Develop effective communication and presentation skills with the interdisciplinary team
Graduation and certification
Upon successful completion of the program, graduates receive a certificate of completion from Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences.
The fellowship will not be accredited in its initial year. Once the first trainee graduates, the program will seek accreditation from both nurse practitioner and physician assistant national organizations.
Continuing medical education (CME) hours are provided by Mayo Clinic School of Continuous Professional Development for medical conferences sponsored by Mayo Clinic, and continuing education unit (CEU) hours for nursing licensing renewal are provided by nursing-approved courses at Mayo Clinic. In addition, attendance at a national cardiovascular-focused conference is allotted to each fellow during the fellowship.
For further details, see the accreditation information for Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences.