Each year, Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences admits four individuals to the Clinical Pastoral Education Resident Program.
To be eligible to apply for the Clinical Pastoral Education Residency Program
- A college degree coupled with some theological education from a CHEA or an ATS accredited institution is preferred. Current seminary students, as well as local pastors, are urged to apply. Members in a religious order may also be considered
- Show motivation for clinical pastoral education training and the health care ministry
- Demonstrate the potential for advanced training
- Have clearly defined educational objectives for the experience
- Have a faith group endorsement or recommendation from a local faith community's spiritual leader
In order to establish a cohort that reflects both the organization Mayo Clinic seeks to be and the patients we serve, Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences Clinical Pastoral Education especially encourages applications from students who belong to any of the following groups:
- First-generation college graduates
- Black or African-American
- Hispanic or Latino
- American Indian or Alaska Native
- Native Hawaiian or U. S. pacific Islander
- All faith traditions
- All gender orientations
For more information, see the complete Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences admissions policy information.
How to apply
Complete the following steps to apply:
- Create an account to begin the online Application for Admission
- Select – Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences
- Select – Clinical Pastoral Education Residency
- Complete each section of the application and submit
- After submission, view the required Supplemental Items and Documents
- Upload each required item in the Supplemental Items section
- Complete the Recommendation Request section
Additional required items
- Applicants will need to complete items 1-11 in the ACPE application and a signed Use of Clinical Materials Consent Form which will be uploaded as one document to your CPE Internship application. Upload your completed ACPE application with all responses (1-11) as one document. If you have difficulty uploading documents, after the online application is complete applicants may email the ACPE application documents to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The selection committee carefully reviews each application and the accompanying documentation. Individuals considered for an appointment are interviewed.