The 54-week Physical Therapy Sports Residency at Mayo Clinic's campus in Rochester, Minnesota, is designed to significantly advance your preparation as a provider of patient and client care services in the area of sports clinical practice.
The program includes activities that promote your continued integration of practice, research, and scholarly inquiry consistent with the program's mission and philosophy.
Residency components include:
- Independent patient care
- One-on-one mentoring
- A research project
- Teaching responsibilities
- Planned didactic and laboratory coursework designed to provide a basis for advanced clinical practice
- Event and outreach coverage
Residents are licensed physical therapists and receive a stipend and benefits package.
Program mission and goals
The mission of the Physical Therapy Sports Residency is to develop highly skilled physical therapist practitioners who provide the best care, outcomes, and patient management within the sports specialty practice.
- Support the mission, vision and values of Mayo Clinic to inspire hope and contribute to optimal patient health and well-being by providing the best care to every patient through integrated clinical practice, education and research
- Promote Mayo Clinic's reputation as an industry leader of excellence in clinical practice and become a nationally recognized provider for post-professional clinical training within the area of sports physical therapy
- Prepare you to be a highly skilled critical thinker who embraces lifelong learning and is grounded in the principles of evidence-based practice
- Develop skilled sports physical therapy practitioners who are able to provide an unparalleled patient experience at Mayo Clinic, the most trusted partner in health care
- Provide an avenue for you to achieve board certification in sports through the American Board of Physical Therapy Specialties (ABPTS)
The Physical Therapy Sports Residency is accredited by the American Board of Physical Therapy Residency and Fellowship Education (ABPTRFE) council of the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA).
See accreditation information for Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science.
Mayo Clinic's campus in Rochester, Minnesota, includes an extensive outpatient complex, Mayo Clinic Hospital — Rochester, and substantial research and education facilities. This Mayo Clinic site is among the largest, most advanced medical centers in the world.
Graduation and certification
After successfully completing the Physical Therapy Sports Residency, you will receive a certificate of completion from Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences.
Graduates are eligible to take the sports specialist certification examination administered by the ABPTS.
During your residency, you work 44 to 50 hours a week, though schedules may vary from week to week and include:
- Patient care. 30 hours a week includes:
- Four hours a week of mentored patient care with a board-certified clinical specialist
- Saturday Sports Team Clinic (fall only)
- Event and outreach coverage. Four to eight hours a week:
- Didactics. Four to six hours a week:
- Sports AM Conference — weekly
- Sports Journal Club — monthly
- American Physical Therapy Association Combined Sections Meeting (APTA CSM) — 24 hours
- Mayo Clinic Symposium on Sports Medicine and Performance — 16 hours
- APTA CI Course — 16 hours
- Teaching within the Physical Therapy Doctoral Program (Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences)
- Curriculum. Based on the Sports Description of Residency Practice, includes the following content:
- Foundations Module
- Spine Module
- Upper Quarter Module
- Lower Quarter Module
- Other Content Module
- Sports Specific Module
- Research. Four to six hours of research, resident learning, and development opportunities
- Surgical and procedural observation. 30 to 40 hours a year of physician shadowing, including surgical and procedural observation.
Independent learning and assignments may occur outside of this time frame.
Each year, Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences admits up to two residents to the Physical Therapy Sports Residency. This ensures that you receive tailored instruction and a comprehensive educational experience.