We are no longer accepting applications for the summer of 2021. Our application for summer 2022 will be available in September.
Each year, approximately 165 undergraduate students from around the U.S. come to Mayo Clinic's campus in Rochester, Minnesota, to work beside both young and established scientists on a broad range of biomedical research questions.
A select number of fellowships are also available at the Mayo Clinic campuses in Jacksonville, Florida, and Scottsdale, Arizona.
How to apply
The 2021 program will run from Tuesday, June 1 through Friday, Aug. 6, 2021. In the event that the program is cancelled due to continuing COVID pandemic limitations, an alternative virtual experience will be offered.
Your application and all supporting documentation must be received by Feb. 1.
You can only submit one application per application season.
Complete the following steps to apply:
- Create an account to begin the online Application for Admission
- Select - Mayo Clinic Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences
- Select – Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF)
- Upload each required item in the Supplemental Items section
- Complete the Recommendation Request section
Additional required items
- Personal statement to include a one to two page description of your career goals, and the steps you have already taken to achieve those goals.
- Unofficial transcripts of courses from all colleges or universities attended may be uploaded in the Supplemental Items area for application purposes. An official transcript is preferred.
- Two letters of recommendation (including letters from research mentors) are required and must be completed in the Recommendation Request section. Each recommender will receive an email with a link to complete a rating form and upload a letter.
Offers of acceptance will go out by email on a rolling basis from mid-February through mid-March. After the acceptance process is complete, the remaining applicants will be notified by email.