Two fellows are accepted on a competitive basis each year for the Cardiology Nurse Practitioner Fellowship at Mayo Clinic's campus in Arizona. The small class size ensures that you receive tailored instruction and a comprehensive educational experience.
To be eligible for the Cardiology Nurse Practitioner Fellowship, you must have:
- Graduated, or will graduate, by the fellowship start date from an accredited nurse practitioner (NP) program.
- National board certification as an adult-gerontology acute care nurse practitioner, adult-gerontology primary care nurse practitioner, or family nurse practitioner.
- At least two years of work experience as an RN or NP in a critical care, interventional cardiology or telemetry area preferred.
Candidates are selected based on grades, work experiences, ethics, leadership qualities and commitment to continue career goals working in a cardiovascular area after completing the fellowship.
Non-U.S. citizen applicants
See the Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences non-U.S. citizen applicant's policy.
Learn more about the Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences admissions policy information.
How to apply
|Call for applications||Nov. 1|
|Applications due||Feb. 14|
|Candidates selected for interviews and notified||End of February|
|Fellow selection||End of April|
|Fellowship start date||Third Monday in September|
|Fellowship duration||12 months|
Your application and all supporting documentation must be received by Feb. 14.
Complete the following steps to apply:
- Create an account to begin the online Application for Admission
- Select - Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences
- Select – Nurse Practitioner Fellowship
- Upload each required item in the Supplemental Items section
- Complete the Recommendation Request section
Additional required items
- Essay is to be no more than 500 words and include the following. Upload it in the Supplemental Items section.
- Statement of your professional goals.
- Statement of your intent describing:
- Your past cardiovascular experience.
- How the fellowship will further develop your career goals in the cardiovascular field.
- Three letters of recommendation from clinical preceptors or mentors who have worked closely with you in a clinical capacity. References from individuals who can comment on your experience as a Nurse Practitioner (as a student, or in practice) or your experience in cardiovascular areas are preferred. References must be completed in the Recommendation Request section. Each recommender will receive an email with a link to complete a rating form and upload a letter.
- Official transcripts will be accepted electronically via a secured site; use the subject line "Attention Judy Cimochowski," and send to email@example.com (this is the preferred method).
- Official transcripts from a baccalaureate nursing and master's or doctorate NP program can also be sent directly from the nursing schools (unofficial copies sent from the schools may be submitted, if the program is not completed at the time of application) to:
Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences
13400 E. Shea Blvd.
Scottsdale, AZ 85259
Should you be accepted into the fellowship, the following documents are required prior to the start date:
- A copy of your current RN license and verification of license eligibility in the state of Arizona
- A copy of a current NP license in the state of Arizona
- Verification of board certification or eligibility as either an adult gerontology acute care nurse practitioner, adult gerontology primary care nurse practitioner, or family nurse practitioner
- A copy of current Basic Life Support and Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support certification
The selection committee carefully reviews each application. Individuals considered for an appointment may complete a phone interview, although an in-person interview is strongly encouraged to meet the faculty and tour the facilities. Should COVID-19 restrictions be in place, a virtual interview day will be scheduled.
Appointment letters are mailed approximately two weeks after the interviews. If you receive an appointment letter, your reply is expected within 10 days.