How to Apply
There are two ways to enter the Cytotechnology Program. You must either:
- Have completed a bachelor's degree and meet the admissions requirements.
- Be a senior at one of Mayo Clinic's affiliated academic institutions, which have agreed to accept our training as valid fourth-year completion of their bachelor's degrees (3+1 option).
Our affiliated institutions are:
- Luther College — Decorah, Iowa
- Minnesota State University, Mankato — Mankato, Minnesota
- Saint Mary's University of Minnesota — Winona, Minnesota
- University of Minnesota Rochester — Rochester, Minnesota
- University of Wisconsin-Green Bay — Green Bay, Wisconsin
Whichever path you choose, you must receive a bachelor's degree by the time you complete this program.
These prerequisites are required to apply for admission:
- Three years (90 semester or 120 quarter hours) in an affiliated college or university
- Twenty semester (or 30 quarter) hours in biology, biological sciences or both, including courses such as general biology, cell biology, physiology, anatomy, histology, bacteriology, parasitology, zoology, embryology, and genetics
- Eight semester (or 12 quarter) hours in chemistry
- Three semester (or four quarter) hours in basic mathematics
- The prerequisite courses above must have been completed with a grade C or better
- College or university cumulative GPA of at least 2.75 on a 4.0 scale, though applicants are not selected based on grades alone
U.S. citizenship or permanent immigrant status is required for admission to this program.
Complete the following steps to apply:
- Create an account to begin the online Application for Admission
- Select - Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences
- Select – Cytotechnology Program
- Complete each section of the application and submit
- After submission, view the required Supplemental Items and Documents
- Upload each required item in the Supplemental Items section
- Complete the Recommendation Request section
Additional required items
- Two professional letters of recommendation are required and must be completed in the Recommendation Request section. Each recommender will receive an email with a link to complete a rating form and upload a letter.
- Essay is to include the following and then uploaded in the Supplemental Items section:
- Tell us why you’re interested in the Cytotechnology Program and what draws you to the field of cytology.
- Unofficial high school and college transcripts may be uploaded in the Supplemental Items area for application purposes. If admitted, official copies of all transcripts will be required prior to the start of the program. They must be sent directly from the institution by email to email@example.com (preferred) or by postal mail to:
Attn: Amy Koenigs
Siebens Building, 5th Floor, Room D-E
200 First St. SW
Rochester, MN 55905
The selection committee carefully reviews each application. Individuals considered for acceptance are invited to Mayo Clinic's campus in Rochester, Minnesota, for an in-person interview.
Acceptance letters are sent in early April. Your reply is expected within 14 days.