How to Apply
There are two ways to enter the Cytotechnology Program. You must either:
- Have completed a bachelor's degree and meet the admissions requirements.
- Be a senior at one of Mayo Clinic's affiliated academic institutions, which have agreed to accept our training as valid fourth-year completion of their bachelor's degrees (3+1 option).
Our affiliated institutions are:
- Luther College — Decorah, Iowa
- Minnesota State University, Mankato — Mankato, Minnesota
- Saint Mary's University of Minnesota — Winona, Minnesota
- University of Minnesota Rochester — Rochester, Minnesota
- University of Wisconsin-Green Bay — Green Bay, Wisconsin
Whichever path you choose, you must receive a bachelor's degree by the time you complete this program.
These prerequisites are required to apply for admission:
- Three years (90 semester or 120 quarter hours) in an affiliated college or university
- Twenty semester (or 30 quarter) hours in biology, biological sciences or both, including courses such as general biology, cell biology, physiology, anatomy, histology, bacteriology, parasitology, zoology, embryology, and genetics
- Eight semester (or 12 quarter) hours in chemistry
- Three semester (or four quarter) hours in basic mathematics
- The prerequisite courses above must have been completed with a grade C or better
- College or university cumulative GPA of at least 2.75 on a 4.0 scale, though applicants are not selected based on grades alone
U.S. citizenship or permanent immigrant status is required for admission to this program.
Complete the following steps to apply:
- Create an account to begin the online Application for Admission
- Complete each section of the application and submit
- After submission, view the required Supplemental Items and Documents
- Upload each required item in the Supplemental Items section (if applicable)
- Complete the Recommendation Request section (if applicable)
Additional required items
- Two professional letters of recommendation are required and must be completed in the Recommendation Request section. Each recommender will receive an email with a link to complete a rating form and upload a letter.
- Essay is to include the following and then uploaded in the Supplemental Items section:
Tell us why you’re interested in the Cytotechnology Program and what draws you to the field of cytology.
- Unofficial transcripts may be uploaded in the Supplemental Items area for application purposes. If accepted to the program, official transcripts must be mailed from the institution directly to:
Attn: Sara Bantley
Stabile Building, Room 3-64
200 First St. SW
Rochester, MN 55905
The selection committee carefully reviews each application. Individuals considered for acceptance are invited to Mayo Clinic's campus in Rochester, Minnesota, for an in-person interview.
Acceptance letters are sent in early April. Your reply is expected within 14 days.