How to Apply
There are two ways to enter the Cytotechnology Program. You must either:
- Have completed a bachelor's degree and meet the admissions requirements.
- Be a senior at one of Mayo Clinic's affiliated academic institutions, which have agreed to accept our training as valid fourth-year completion of their bachelor's degrees (3+1 option).
Our affiliated institutions are:
- Luther College — Decorah, Iowa
- Minnesota State University, Mankato — Mankato, Minnesota
- Saint Mary's University of Minnesota — Winona, Minnesota
- University of Minnesota Rochester — Rochester, Minnesota
- University of Wisconsin-Green Bay — Green Bay, Wisconsin
Technical and essential functions
See a complete listing of technical and essential functions required by the Cytotechnology Program.
Whichever path you choose, you must receive a bachelor's degree by the time you complete this program.
These prerequisites are required to apply for admission:
- Three years (90 semester or 120 quarter hours) in an affiliated college or university
- Twenty semester (or 30 quarter) hours in biology, biological sciences or both, including courses such as general biology, cell biology, physiology, anatomy, histology, bacteriology, parasitology, zoology, embryology, and genetics
- Eight semester (or 12 quarter) hours in chemistry
- Three semester (or four quarter) hours in basic mathematics
- The prerequisite courses above must have been completed with a grade C or better
- College or university cumulative GPA of at least 2.75 on a 4.0 scale, though applicants are not selected based on grades alone
Non-U.S. citizen applicants
Admission to Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences is open to U.S. workers in the four categories below. Therefore, visa sponsorship is not available.
- U.S. citizens
- U.S. nationals
- Lawful permanent residents
- Asylees and refugees
Applicants whose primary language is not English must submit results from the Test of English as a Foreign Language Internet-based test (TOEFL iBT). Scores from the speaking portion of the exam are given particular consideration in admission decisions. Learn more about the exam and register online at the Educational Testing Service.
The Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences code for the TOEFL iBT is 5784.
Educational transcripts from schools outside the U.S. must be translated (if they are not already in English) and evaluated for U.S. equivalence by an accredited credential evaluation service company prior to submission. Please refer to the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services for a list of qualified companies. The applicant pays for the examination and credential-evaluation services.
Complete the following steps to apply:
- Create an account to begin the online Application for Admission
- Select - Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences
- Select - Cytotechnology Program
- Complete each section of the application and submit
- After submission, view the required Supplemental Items and Documents
- Upload each required item in the Supplemental Items section
- Complete the Recommendation Request section
Additional required items
- Two professional letters of recommendation are required and must be completed in the Recommendation Request section. Each recommender will receive an email with a link to complete a rating form and upload a letter.
- Essay is to include the following and then uploaded in the Supplemental Items section:
- Tell us why you’re interested in the Cytotechnology Program and what draws you to the field of cytology.
- Unofficial transcripts may be uploaded in the Supplemental Items area for application purposes. If admitted to the program, official transcripts must be provided directly from the institution(s) prior to the start of the program.
Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences
Attn: Amy Koenigs
Siebens Building, 5th Floor, Room D-E
200 First St. SW
Rochester, MN 55905
The selection committee carefully reviews each application. Individuals considered for acceptance are invited to Mayo Clinic's campus in Rochester, Minnesota, for an in-person interview.
Acceptance letters are sent in early April. Your reply is expected within 14 days.