How to Apply
There are two ways to enter the Cytotechnology Program. You must either:
- Have completed a bachelor's degree and meet the admissions requirements.
- Be a senior at one of Mayo Clinic's affiliated academic institutions, which have agreed to accept our training as valid fourth-year completion of their bachelor's degrees (3+1 option).
Our affiliated institutions are:
- Luther College — Decorah, Iowa
- Minnesota State University, Mankato — Mankato, Minnesota
- Saint Mary's University of Minnesota — Winona, Minnesota
- University of Minnesota Rochester — Rochester, Minnesota
- University of Wisconsin-Green Bay — Green Bay, Wisconsin
Whichever path you choose, you must receive a bachelor's degree by the time you complete this program.
These prerequisites are required to apply for admission:
- Three years (90 semester or 120 quarter hours) in an affiliated college or university
- Twenty semester (or 30 quarter) hours in biology, biological sciences or both, including courses such as general biology, cell biology, physiology, anatomy, histology, bacteriology, parasitology, zoology, embryology, and genetics
- Eight semester (or 12 quarter) hours in chemistry
- Three semester (or four quarter) hours in basic mathematics
- College or university cumulative GPA of at least 2.75 on a 4.0 scale, though applicants are not selected based on grades alone
U.S. citizenship or permanent immigrant status is required for admission to this program.
1. Create an account. Prior to submission of an application, you must create an account. Note the following as you create an account and begin completing an application.
- On the Create an Account page:
- For School of Study → select School of Health Sciences
- For Location → select Rochester, MN
- For Area of Interest → Cytotechnology Program
- For Start date → Choose date
- On the My Account page:
- Scroll down to Next Steps → select "Start an Application"
- On the Online Application page:
- Verify that the program listed is what you want
- Click "Continue with Application Selected Above"
- On the Application Listing page:
- Select "Start a New Full Application"
2. Online application. The sections below are located in the application system. You may complete them in order, or click on the section you want using the left navigation menu.
- Program of interest:
- Review populated data for accuracy.
- Complete "Reapplying and Education Completed" questions.
- Personal information:
- Review populated data.
- Complete any other fields.
- If you didn't enter an address or phone number in a previous step, you will be required to enter it now.
- Demographic data:
- Fill in as necessary.
- Be sure to input as much information as possible.
- Add work experience.
- Standardized testing:
- Input information regarding the ACT, SAT, and/or GRE as they apply to you. Please check your program website to see if these are required.
- Professional licensing and registration:
- Enter any professional licenses you hold.
- Tell us why you’re interested in the Cytotechnology Program and what draws you to the field of cytology.
- Signature and submit:
- Certify and sign your application.
- Submit your application.
3. Submit recommendations and supplemental items. After submitting the application, click "Click here to upload program-specific supplemental item(s)." If required by program, upload any supplemental items under the "Supplemental Items" box.
- Enter email addresses for recommendations under the "Recommendation Requests."
- Two professional references are required.
**If you do not complete these at the time of submission, please visit your "My Account" page and navigate to your application for a link to complete.
4. Submit transcripts. Send any transcripts, in one envelope to:
Cytotechnology Program Director
Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences
Siebens Building, Fifth Floor
200 First St. SW
Rochester, MN 55905
What happens after I submit my application?
Interviews. The selection committee carefully reviews each application. Individuals considered for an appointment are invited to Mayo Clinic's campus in Rochester, Minnesota, for an in-person interview.
Acceptance. Appointment letters are sent in early April. Your reply is expected within 14 days.