The paramedic delivers advanced life support to the sick and injured in emergent and nonemergent situations. Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences, in collaboration with Gold Cross Ambulance and Rochester Community and Technical College (RCTC), offers an Emergency Medicine Paramedic Program at Mayo Clinic's campus in Rochester, Minnesota.
The 20-month program has two track options:
- Associate degree track
- Certificate track (for college graduates)
The Emergency Medicine Paramedic Program is designed to prepare you for a career as a paramedic. The role of the paramedic is rapidly expanding in the medical profession. The paramedic profession offers a wide variety of employment options, including with advanced life support ground ambulances and air ambulances as well as hospital-based employment.
The Emergency Medicine Paramedic Program offers an exceptional educational experience, giving you the knowledge, skills, and facilities you need to become a well-rounded paramedic.
Our goal is to prepare competent entry-level Emergency Medical Technician — Paramedics in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains.
Gainful employment disclosure report
The Department of Education requires disclosure of student debt and employment information to assist students in making informed decisions prior to enrolling in this education program.
The program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) upon the recommendation of the Committee on Accreditation of Educational Programs for the Emergency Medical Services Professions (CoAEMSP).
CAAHEP contact information
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs
25400 US Highway 19 North, Suite 158
Clearwater, FL 33756
COAEMSP contact information
Committee on Accreditation of Educational Programs for the Emergency Medical Services Professions
8301 Lakeview Parkway, Suite 111-312
Rowlett, TX 75088
The Emergency Medicine Paramedic Program has been approved by the Minnesota Emergency Medical Services Regulatory Board (EMSRB) to instruct paramedic training.
See accreditation information for Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science.
Graduate outcomes for the Emergency Medicine Paramedic Program
|National registry cognitive exam pass rate||91%|
|National registry psychomotor exam pass rate||100%|
|Positive placement of graduates completing program requirements||100%|
- Associate degree track. To participate in the Emergency Medicine Paramedic Program, you must be enrolled in the associate degree program at Rochester Community and Technical College in Rochester, Minnesota.
- Certificate track (for college graduates). You may be eligible for the certificate option if you have successfully completed an associate or bachelor's degree before the start of the program. Certificate students are required to complete all the prerequisite coursework to be eligible for admission.
The Mayo Clinic campus in Rochester, Minnesota includes an extensive outpatient complex, Mayo Clinic Hospital — Rochester, and substantial research and education facilities. This Mayo Clinic site is among the largest, most advanced medical centers in the world.
Mayo Clinic Medical Transport
Mayo Clinic Medical Transport offers significant options for field internships, including 11 Gold Cross Ambulance locations and three Mayo One helicopter locations in Minnesota and Wisconsin. Rotations at these locations are a major component of the field internship requirement.
Rochester Community and Technical College
Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences works collaboratively with Rochester Community and Technical College (RCTC). RCTC provides classroom and lab space for students in the Emergency Medicine Paramedic Program.
Note: Students enrolled at RCTC are required to submit an application and be accepted to the Emergency Medicine Paramedic Program. Not all students enrolled at RCTC are guaranteed acceptance into the paramedic program at Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences. See Admissions for details.
Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences does not currently offer advanced placement to students who are seeking to graduate or become eligible to take the National Registry or state examination at the paramedic level. All students seeking to graduate or become eligible for the National Registry or state examination must complete all of the requirements of the Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences Emergency Medicine Paramedic Program.
Graduation and certification
- Associate degree track. Students successfully completing the associate degree track of 35 credit hours at RCTC, along with successfully completing the 40 credit hours of the Emergency Medicine Paramedic Program, will receive an A.S. degree from RCTC and a certificate from Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences.
- Certificate track (for college graduates). Students successfully completing the 40 credit hours of the Emergency Medicine Paramedic Program will receive a certificate from Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences.
All graduates are eligible to take the cognitive and psychomotor exams from the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians.
Learning schedules include eight- and 12-hour days. The days of attendance each week vary according to classroom, clinical, lab, and field internship schedules. Expect to attend day and night rotations in the clinical and field internship.
- Associate degree track. Credit hours average approximately 16 credit hours per semester with an internship and classes during summer session. This credit average is required to attain the degree within 20 months.
- Certificate track (for college graduates). This track combines didactic coursework with a lab, clinical, and field internship. The certificate track is composed of 40 credits, which will run concurrently with students in the associate degree track. This is a part-time option for students who already possess at least a two-year associate degree and meet all prerequisite coursework.
Each year, Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences admits up to 20 students to its Emergency Medicine Paramedic Program. This ensures that you receive tailored instruction and a comprehensive educational experience.