Up to five candidates are accepted on a competitive basis every six months for the Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant Emergency Medicine Fellowship. The program begins in September and March annually.
To be eligible to apply for the Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant Emergency Medicine Fellowship, you must have:
- Graduated from an accredited nurse practitioner or physician assistant program
- A nurse practitioner or physician assistant license to practice in the states of Minnesota and Wisconsin
- National board certification
- Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) and Basic Life Support (BLS) certification
Previous emergency medicine or Emergency Medical Services (EMS) experience is encouraged but not required. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) registration is required upon acceptance into the program; expenses related to DEA registration are paid by Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences.
Applicants are selected based on grades and work experiences, as well as volunteer experiences, leadership qualities, and representation of personal qualities and skills in a personal letter.
Non-U.S. citizen applicants
Admission to Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences is open to U.S. workers in the four categories below. Therefore, visa sponsorship is not available.
- U.S. citizens
- U.S. nationals
- Lawful permanent residents
- Asylees and refugees
Applicants whose primary language is not English must submit results from the Test of English as a Foreign Language Internet-based test (TOEFL iBT). Scores from the speaking portion of the exam are given particular consideration in admission decisions. Learn more about the exam and register online at the Educational Testing Service.
The Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences code for the TOEFL iBT is 5784.
Educational transcripts from schools outside the U.S. must be translated (if they are not already in English) and evaluated for U.S. equivalence by an accredited credential evaluation service company prior to submission. Please refer to the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services for a list of qualified companies. The applicant pays for the examination and credential-evaluation services.
Learn more about Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences admissions policies.
How to apply
|Application window||Program begins||Apply|
|July 1-Oct. 1||March||Online application|
|Dec. 1-March 1||September||Online application|
Complete the following steps to apply:
- Create an account to begin the online Application for Admission
- Select - Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences
- Select – NP PA Emergency Medicine Fellowship (RST)
- Upload each required item in the Supplemental Items section
- Complete the Recommendation Request section
Additional required items
- Three letters of recommendation are required and must be completed in the Recommendation Request section. Each recommender will receive an email with a link to complete a rating form and upload a letter.
- Professional (supervisor, preceptor, co-worker)
- Academic (professor, faculty)
- Personal Statement (one-page maximum) is to include the following and then be uploaded in the Supplemental Items section
- Describe your work experience and why an emergency medicine fellowship would be an asset to you, and also indicate whether you are applying as an NP or PA
- Official undergraduate and graduate transcripts must be provided directly from the institution(s).
- Electronic official transcripts are preferred and should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Paper official transcripts can be mailed to:
Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences
Attn: Amy Koenigs
Siebens Building, 5th Floor, Room D-E
200 First St. SW
Rochester, MN 55905
The selection committee carefully reviews each application. Individuals considered for acceptance will be initially interviewed by phone. Based on the phone interview, the candidate may be invited to Mayo Clinic's campus in Rochester, Minnesota, for an in-person interview.
Acceptance letters are mailed no later than June 15 for a September start and Dec. 15 for a March start. Your reply is expected within seven days.