Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences offers a 54-week Occupational Therapy Hand Fellowship at Mayo Clinic's campus in Rochester, Minnesota. The fellowship is designed to significantly advance your preparation as a provider of patient and client care services in the area of hand clinical practice.
The Occupational Therapy Hand Fellowship includes activities that promote continued integration of practice, research, and scholarly inquiry consistent with the fellowship's mission and philosophy. Fellows are licensed occupational therapists and receive a stipend and benefit package including medical, vision and dental insurance, PTO, and continuing education.
Fellowship components include:
- Independent patient care
- One-on-one mentoring
- A research project
- Teaching responsibilities
- Planned didactic and laboratory coursework designed to provide a basis for advanced clinical practice
- Support the mission, vision, and values of Mayo Clinic to inspire hope and contribute to optimal patient health and well-being by providing the best care to every patient through integrated clinical practice, education, and research
- Promote Mayo Clinic's reputation as an industry leader of excellence in clinical practice and become a nationally recognized provider for post-professional clinical training within the area of hand occupational therapy
- Prepare fellows to be highly skilled critical thinkers who embrace lifelong learning and are grounded in the principles of evidence-based practice
- Develop skilled hand occupational therapy practitioners who are able to provide an unparalleled patient experience at Mayo Clinic, one of the most trusted partners in health care
- Provide an avenue for occupational therapists to gain hours and knowledge required to take the Hand Therapy Certification Examination to become a Certified Hand Therapist (CHT) or Board Certification in Physical Rehabilitation.
The Occupational Therapy Hand Fellowship in Rochester, Minnesota, is approved by the Fellowship Program Committee through the American Occupational Therapy Association Inc. through 2028.
See accreditation information for Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science.
Mayo Clinic's campus in Rochester, Minnesota, includes an extensive outpatient complex, Mayo Clinic Hospital — Rochester, and substantial research and education facilities. This Mayo Clinic site is among the largest, most advanced medical centers in the world.
As a fellow, you will spend the majority of your time at Mayo Clinic Hospital — Rochester, Saint Marys Campus.
Graduation and certification
Upon successful completion of the Occupational Therapy Hand Fellowship, you receive a certificate of completion from Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences.
You will also have 1,500 hours of clinical experience that will count toward the 4,000 required hours to take the Hand Therapy Certification Examination from the Hand Therapy Certification Commission or work towards the Board Certification in Physical Rehabilitation through the American Occupational Therapy Association.
As a fellow, you will work 44 to 50 hours a week. Schedules may vary from week to week and include:
- Mentored clinical time
- Learning and development opportunities, such as teaching, surgical observation and journal clubs
Independent learning and assignments may occur outside of this time frame.
Each year, Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences admits two students to the Occupational Therapy Hand Fellowship Program. This ensures that you receive tailored instruction and a comprehensive educational experience.