After completing the 12-month PGY-1 Community-Based Pharmacy Residency at Mayo Clinic Health System — Eau Claire, you will be a proficient independent general practitioner capable of providing broad pharmacotherapy knowledge to a multitude of patient populations.
The purpose of the PGY-1 Community-Based Pharmacy Residency at Mayo Clinic Health System — Eau Claire is to build on Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) education and outcomes to contribute to the development of community pharmacists who are responsible for medication-related care of patients with a wide range of conditions and eligible for board certification and postgraduate, year-two (PGY-2) pharmacy residency training.
ASHP recognized preceptors across the Northwest Wisconsin region
The program provides the high-quality didactic and clinical experiences needed to create a well-rounded, fully competent clinical pharmacist. As a pharmacy resident, you will:
- Expand knowledge of various sectors of community pharmacy including ambulatory care, specialty pharmacy, managed care, pharmacy benefits, long-term care, infusion pharmacy and clinical oncology
- Develop expertise, knowledge, and skills in a broad range of therapeutics through direct patient care
- Contribute to an interdisciplinary health care team offering patient-specific interventions to optimize drug therapy outcomes
- Provide drug information to the interdisciplinary team in an environment based on teamwork and mutual respect
- Enhance your skills in conducting clinical research, medication use evaluations, and quality-improvement initiatives
- Strengthen your communication skills by presenting formal and informal lectures, writing a professional manuscript, and leading interdisciplinary discussions
- Develop pharmacy practice management skills by leading various committees, establishing policies, and understanding the pharmacy practice philosophy
- Network with fellow pharmacy residents and practicing clinicians through professional membership and conferences
The PGY-1 Community-Based Pharmacy Residency provides opportunities for general training in numerous areas of practice. During each learning experience, you work closely with preceptors, highly qualified pharmacists, providers, and other allied health care professionals.
The PGY-1 Community-Based Pharmacy Residency at Mayo Clinic Health System — Eau Claire is a newly developed program accepting our first resident during the 2022-2023 residency year. Our program has been approved for pre-candidate status through ASHP and anticipates being accredited upon graduation of our first resident.
We have partnered with the team from our organization’s PGY-1 Pharmacy Residency during the development of our PGY-1 Community-Based Pharmacy Residency and our preceptors have been actively involved in the general residency since its inception, through a variety of required and elective rotations. The general residency has been ASHP accredited since 2009 and is currently graduating four residents per year.
The PGY-1 Community-Based Pharmacy Residency at Mayo Clinic Health System — Eau Claire is based at the Luther Campus in Eau Claire, WI. The Luther Campus consists of an outpatient pharmacy, oncology and infusion center, outpatient medical clinic with integrated ambulatory pharmacists, and 304-bed community hospital. Mayo Clinic Health System — Eau Claire is part of the Northwest Wisconsin Region of Mayo Clinic Health System. Training for this residency program is primarily conducted in Eau Claire; although residents may have learning experiences at nearby Mayo Clinic Health System critical access hospitals and outpatient complexes in the Northwest Wisconsin Region and at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN.