After completing the 12-month PGY-1 Pharmacy Residency at Mayo Clinic Health System — Eau Claire, Wisconsin, you will be a proficient independent general practitioner capable of providing broad pharmacotherapy knowledge to a multitude of patient populations.
The purpose of the PGY-1 Pharmacy Residency at Mayo Clinic Health System — Eau Claire is to build on Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) education and outcomes to contribute to the development of clinical pharmacists who are responsible for medication-related care of patients with a wide range of conditions and eligible for board certification and postgraduate, year-two (PGY-2) pharmacy residency training.
The program provides the high-quality didactic and clinical experiences needed to create a well-rounded, fully competent clinical pharmacist. As a pharmacy resident, you:
- Develop expertise, knowledge and skills in a broad range of therapeutics through direct patient care
- Contribute to an interdisciplinary health care team offering patient-specific interventions to optimize drug therapy outcomes
- Provide drug information to the interdisciplinary team in an environment based on teamwork and mutual respect
- Enhance your skills in conducting clinical research, medication use evaluations and quality-improvement initiatives
- Strengthen your communication skills by presenting formal and informal lectures, writing a professional manuscript, and leading interdisciplinary discussions
- Participate as an active member in cardiopulmonary resuscitations
- Develop pharmacy practice management skills by leading various committees, establishing policies and understanding the pharmacy practice philosophy
- Network with fellow pharmacy residents and practicing clinicians through professional membership and conferences
The PGY-1 pharmacy residency provides opportunities for general training in numerous areas of practice. During each learning experience, you work closely with preceptors, highly qualified pharmacists, providers and other allied health care professionals.
The PGY-1 Pharmacy Residency at Mayo Clinic Health System — Eau Claire has been accredited by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP) since 2009. Graduates of the program practice across the U.S. as respected clinicians and specialists.
The residency program is continuously evaluated for improvement opportunities to ensure that graduates make a seamless transition into clinical practice. Up to four candidates are selected on a competitive basis each year.
Mayo Clinic Health System — Eau Claire is a licensed, 304-bed, community hospital located in Eau Claire, Wisconsin, and is part of the Northwest Wisconsin Region of Mayo Clinic Health System. Training for this residency program is primarily conducted in Eau Claire, although residents may have learning experiences at nearby Mayo Clinic Health System critical access hospitals and outpatient complexes in the Northwest Wisconsin Region of the health system.