After completing the 12-month PGY-2 Pharmacy Residency in Internal Medicine at Mayo Clinic Hospital — Rochester, you will be a proficient independent practitioner capable of providing advanced pharmaceutical care to internal medicine patients.
The purpose of the PGY-2 Pharmacy Residency in Internal Medicine at Mayo Clinic Hospital — Rochester is to build on your Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) education and PGY-1 pharmacy residency programs to contribute to the development of clinical pharmacists in specialized areas of practice. This PGY-2 residency provides you with opportunities to function independently as a practitioner by conceptualizing and integrating accumulated experience and knowledge while incorporating both into the provision of patient care that improves medication therapy. Residents who successfully complete this PGY-2 pharmacy residency should possess competencies that qualify you for clinical pharmacist and faculty positions and eligibility for attainment of board certification.
hospital in Minnesota and nationally-recognized on the Best Hospitals Honor Roll (U.S. News, 2023-2024)
The program provides the high-quality didactic and clinical experiences needed to create a well-rounded, fully competent clinical pharmacist. As a PGY-2 internal medicine resident, you:
- Develop expertise, knowledge, and skills in a broad range of internal medicine therapeutics through direct patient care
- Contribute to an interdisciplinary health care team offering patient-specific interventions to optimize drug therapy outcomes
- Provide drug information to the interdisciplinary team in an environment based on teamwork and mutual respect
- Enhance skills in conducting clinical research, medication use evaluations, and quality improvement initiatives
- Improve teaching skills through involvement in the Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences Physician Assistant Pharmacology course and the Teaching and Precepting rotation
- Strengthen communication skills by presenting formal and informal lectures, writing a professional manuscript, and leading interdisciplinary discussions
- Develop pharmacy practice management skills by leading various committees, understanding the pharmacy practice philosophy
- Network with fellow pharmacy residents and practicing clinicians through professional membership and conferences
The PGY-2 Pharmacy Residency in Internal Medicine at Mayo Clinic Hospital — Rochester began in July 2017 and is accredited by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP). Previously, the program was an accredited PGY-2 Pharmacy Residency in Pharmacotherapy, which has produced respected clinicians that practice across the U.S. since 2007. The residency program is continuously evaluated for improvement opportunities to ensure that graduates make a seamless transition into clinical practice. One candidate is selected on a competitive basis each year.
The campus in Rochester, Minnesota, is divided between outpatient and inpatient facilities. The extensive outpatient facilities are part of Mayo Clinic, while Mayo Clinic Hospital — Rochester includes the Saint Marys campus (1,265 beds) and the Methodist campus (794 beds). Together, these represent one of the largest, most advanced medical centers in the world.
Training for this residency is primarily conducted at Mayo Clinic Hospital — Rochester and Mayo Clinic's outpatient complex.