Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences offers a 12-month postgraduate Physician Assistant Fellowship in Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery at Mayo Clinic's campus in Phoenix, Arizona.
This educational program provides comprehensive training for physician assistants in otolaryngology and head and neck surgery. You receive clinical and surgical experience in a renowned health care institution focusing on advancements in patient care, education, and research. This opportunity equips you with the skills necessary to provide the highest quality of care to patients with a diverse array of ailments.
Throughout the year, you engage in didactic courses, journal club discussions, research-based compositions, outpatient medicine, hospital-based medicine, and surgical practices.
Completion and certification
After successfully completing this fellowship, you receive a certificate of completion from Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences.
See accreditation information for Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science.
As a physician assistant (PA) fellow in otolaryngology, you:
- Develop a broad knowledge base of ear, nose, and throat (ENT)-related illnesses in outpatient clinical and inpatient hospital settings
- Utilize evidence-based medicine practices to develop differential diagnoses and respective treatment plans
- Gain proficiency in the evaluation of the airway and the management of an airway emergency
- Become proficient in the diagnosis and management of head and neck cancers
- Develop the verbal skills needed for effective communication with consulting physicians, nursing staff, patients, and patient families
- Effectively manage patients beginning with the initial outpatient consultation, leading through intraoperative and inpatient management, and concluding with postoperative follow-up
- Participate in the education and training of rotating physician assistant students
- Attain surgical skills including sterile prep, suturing, knot tying, surgical instrumentation, and surgical first assisting during head and neck procedures
- Perform minor office procedures
- Assist in inpatient and emergency on-call duties