Mayo Clinic's campus in Jacksonville, Florida, offers an intensive, flexible fellowship focused on body magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) with additional advanced training in body imaging, including CT- and ultrasound-guided procedures, diagnostic CT and ultrasound (US), and contrast-enhanced ultrasound.
The one-year Body Imaging Fellowship offers in-depth experience with advanced MRI, CT, and US techniques. Grounded in a broad-based, high-volume, clinical practice, the curriculum addresses all fundamentals of body imaging.
At the end of the fellowship year, you are equipped to assume a subspecialty leadership role in any type of MRI practice. You are prepared to create protocols, address magnetic resonance quality issues, incorporate emerging techniques, and interact with magnetic resonance technologists to produce superior results. You will be adept at imaging-guided procedures and have experience in performing contrast-enhanced ultrasound.
Specifically, the Body Imaging Fellowship offers:
- High-volume exposure to a broad variety of patients and pathologies, with a daily average of more than 50 MRI examinations of the abdomen and pelvis
- Extensive experience with advanced MRI techniques, including diffusion, perfusion, magnetic resonance elastography, magnetic resonance angiography, prostate MRI, rectal MRI, dynamic pelvic floor MRI, magnetic resonance enterography, and PET/MRI
- Unique access to pulse sequences in the early stages of development, including refinements of parallel imaging, fat and iron quantification, and magnetic resonance diffusion-weighted imaging
- Hands-on, side-by-side instruction from highly trained specialists
- State-of-the-art magnetic resonance equipment, including 10 3T scanners
- Multiple weekly conferences, including well-attended multidisciplinary tumor boards and journal clubs
- Close, ongoing interaction with clinical colleagues, especially surgical and transplant teams
- Protected research time available
- Image-guided procedures, including CT-guided lung and abdominal mass biopsies and targeted and nontargeted ultrasound-guided biopsies
- CT experience, including dual-energy CT and 3-D imaging post-processing
- Ultrasound experience, including dedicated hands-on scan time and training in contrast-enhanced ultrasound
Our flexible curriculum includes the option for PET/CT, musculoskeletal MRI, cardiovascular MRI/CT, breast imaging and image-guided procedures during elective time.
The Body Imaging Fellowship at Mayo Clinic's campus in Jacksonville, Florida, began in 1994. We anticipate that two trainees will complete this program annually.