The General Surgery Residency at Mayo Clinic's campus in Jacksonville, Florida, integrates extensive exposure to all aspects of current general surgery with a firm grounding in underlying scientific principles, methods of clinical investigation, and controversies in management.
This training program allows you to achieve your ultimate goal in surgery. Past graduates have obtained fellowship training in transplantation, surgical oncology, minimally invasive surgery, colon and rectal surgery, plastic surgery, and vascular surgery. The program exposes you to the rapidly expanding body of literature surrounding surgical care and simulation.
The five-year General Surgery Residency offers:
- The Mayo apprenticeship model of care
- State-of-the-art diagnostic, therapeutic, and research facilities
- An advanced electronic medical record
- A state-of-the-art simulation center
- A strong didactic curriculum with weekly faculty participation that is patient-centered and learner-focused
- Direct patient care responsibilities throughout your residency commensurate with your training and experience
- Early exposure to the operative room with graduated levels of responsibility
- Exposure to diverse patient populations
- Hands-on management of common and uncommon surgical disorders
- Full-time, fellowship-trained, and board-certified faculty with experience in all subspecialties of surgery
- Access to electronic and printed surgical references, including the Surgical Council on Resident Education (SCORE) curriculum
- Interdisciplinary research collaboration throughout Mayo Clinic