There are two one-year Preliminary Surgery Residency positions available each year. These positions are non-designated and available to any applicant seeking one year of surgical training prior to starting formal residency training in fields such as anesthesiology, radiology, or surgical specialties.
As a resident, you will experience:
- A "mentoring and mastery" model of education delivered through personal instruction from experienced faculty through ongoing patient-based teaching
- Extensive early operative training with every other day on most rotations devoted to being in the operating room all day
- The finest education provided by experienced general and specialty surgeons
- A robust, dynamic electronic core curriculum with extensive linked resources
- Daily didactic programs
- Acquisition of the judgment and skill sets to become a leader in the medical community
The Preliminary Surgery Residency is accredited by the American Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) Residency Review Committee for Surgery.
The Preliminary Surgery Residency at Mayo Clinic Arizona was established in 1995 and 11 residents have graduated from this program to date.