The Urology Residency at Mayo Clinic's campus in Rochester, Minnesota, provides a well-rounded clinical and basic science research experience, with exposure to all aspects of urology.
hospital in Minnesota and nationally-recognized on the Best Hospitals Honor Roll (U.S. News, 2023-2024)
The Department of Urology at Mayo Clinic is committed to excellence in patient care, education, and research. We are a busy department that annually performs approximately:
- 500 ureteroscopic procedures
- 150 holmium laser enucleations of the prostate
- 200 percutaneous surgeries
- 1,200 robotic and laparoscopic surgeries
- 50 image-guided procedures (for example, shock wave lithotripsy and image-guided ablative procedures)
Clinically, you become proficient in infertility, endourology, laparoscopic urology, neurourology, sexual dysfunction, the evaluation and treatment of incontinence, reconstructive surgery, urologic oncology, and pediatric urology.
From a research point of view, you generate the key questions that affect urologic practice patterns and develop the ability to answer these questions through carefully performed basic science and clinical research.
Additional highlights of the program include:
- Mentor model of training, where residents are matched one-on-one with consultants, providing an in-depth learning experience both in clinic and in the operating room
- Six eight- to nine-week rotations each year, rotating through all of the core urologic subspecialties, with a customized education experience through additional electives chosen by the resident
- A formal simulation curriculum, including dedicated robotic training modules and a microsurgery course
- Robust clinical databases, providing unparalleled opportunities for research projects, with departmental support for residents to travel to national and international scientific meetings to present their work
- Educational conferences, including an imaging conference aimed at preparation for the oral board exam, multidisciplinary tumor board, topic-oriented journal club, and pediatric urology/radiology/nephrology
Mayo Clinic also offers visiting medical student clerkship opportunities in urology.
The Urology Residency is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education.