After completing the 12-month PGY-2 Pharmacy Residency in Ambulatory Care at Mayo Clinic Health System — Mankato, Minnesota, you will be a proficient independent practitioner capable of providing advanced pharmacotherapy knowledge to a multitude of ambulatory care patient populations.
The purpose of the PGY-2 Pharmacy Residency in Ambulatory Care at Mayo Clinic Health System — Mankato is to build on Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) education and PGY-1 pharmacy residency programs to contribute to the development of clinical pharmacists in specialized areas of practice. PGY-2 residencies provide you with opportunities to function independently as a practitioner by conceptualizing and integrating accumulated experience and knowledge and incorporating both into the provision of patient care or other advanced practice settings.
Residents who successfully complete an accredited PGY-2 pharmacy residency are prepared for advanced patient care, academic, or other specialized positions, along with board certification, if available.
The program provides the high-quality didactic and clinical experiences needed to create a well-rounded, fully competent clinical pharmacist. As a PGY-2 ambulatory care pharmacy resident, you will:
- Gain knowledge, confidence, and expertise in variety of ambulatory-care related pharmacotherapeutics with flexibility to adapt based on professional interests.
- Innovate and implement ambulatory pharmacy clinical services for the promotion and advancement of patient care.
- Collaborate with family medicine physician residents and other health-care providers to optimize drug therapy plans and improve patient outcomes.
- Engage in teaching, precepting, and mentoring activities to further enhance leadership and practice management skills.
- Expand ability to design, develop, and execute impactful projects in the areas of research and quality improvement.
- Work with a core set of preceptors dedicated to the resident’s personal and professional growth
The PGY-2 Pharmacy Residency in Ambulatory Care at Mayo Clinic Health System — Mankato is accredited by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP).
The residency program is continuously evaluated for improvement opportunities to ensure graduates make a seamless transition into ambulatory practice settings. One candidate is selected on a competitive basis each year.
Mayo Clinic Health System in Mankato is a licensed, 166-bed, community hospital located in Mankato, Minnesota, and is part of Mayo Clinic Health System — Southwest Minnesota region. Training for this residency program is primarily conducted in Mankato, with additional experiences at regional sites (including six hospitals and 20 clinics) and Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota.