Developing the future pharmacist
After completing the 12-month PGY-2 Pharmacy Residency in Ambulatory Care at Mayo Clinic Health System — Mankato, Minnesota, you will be a proficient independent practitioner capable of providing advanced pharmacotherapy knowledge to a multitude of ambulatory care patient populations.
The purpose of the PGY-2 Pharmacy Residency in Ambulatory Care at Mayo Clinic Health System — Mankato is to build on Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) education and PGY-1 pharmacy residency programs to contribute to the development of clinical pharmacists in specialized areas of practice. PGY-2 residencies provide you with opportunities to function independently as a practitioner by conceptualizing and integrating accumulated experience and knowledge and incorporating both into the provision of patient care or other advanced practice settings.
Residents who successfully complete an accredited PGY-2 pharmacy residency are prepared for advanced patient care, academic or other specialized positions, along with board certification, if available.
The program provides the high-quality didactic and clinical experiences needed to create a well-rounded, fully competent clinical pharmacist. As a PGY-2 ambulatory care pharmacy resident, you:
- Develop expertise, knowledge and skills in a broad range of ambulatory care therapeutics through direct patient care
- Contribute to an interdisciplinary health care team offering patient-specific interventions to optimize drug therapy outcomes
- Provide drug information to the interdisciplinary team in an environment based on teamwork and mutual respect
- Enhance your skills in conducting clinical research and medication use evaluations
- Strengthen your communication skills by presenting formal and informal lectures, writing a professional manuscript, and leading interdisciplinary discussions
- Develop pharmacy practice management skills by leading various committees, establishing policies and understanding the pharmacy practice philosophy
- Counsel and educate patients and health care providers on medication use, monitoring parameters and cost-effectiveness
- Provide comprehensive medication therapy management services to a variety of specialty areas
The PGY-2 pharmacy residency provides opportunities for training in many of the ambulatory care practice sites. During each learning experience, you work closely with your preceptors, highly qualified pharmacists, physicians and other allied health care professionals.
The PGY-2 Pharmacy Residency in Ambulatory Care at Mayo Clinic Health System — Mankato is currently in candidate status with the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP).
The residency program is continuously evaluated for improvement opportunities to ensure graduates make a seamless transition into ambulatory practice settings. One candidate is selected on a competitive basis each year.
Preceptors for the PGY-2 ambulatory care pharmacy residency provide direct patient care in various outpatient settings and are actively involved in resident teaching and other scholarly activities. The preceptors come from diverse backgrounds and share numerous years of experience, clinical knowledge and research interests. As a resident, you have direct access to these and many more preceptors and mentors to optimize your learning experience. All preceptors meet qualifications outlined by ASHP and many are certified by the Board of Pharmacy Specialties.
Mayo Clinic Health System in Mankato is a licensed, 166-bed, community hospital located in Mankato, Minnesota, and is part of Mayo Clinic Health System — Southwest Minnesota region. Training for this residency program is primarily conducted in Mankato, with additional experiences at regional sites (including six hospitals and 20 clinics) and Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota.