Learn more about life for residents outside the hospital and clinic, and in the La Crosse community.
Organized resident activities
Outside the clinic/hospital we organize activities that include all residents, spouses/significant others, and families. These include: annual resident outing (personal/professional development), annual resident retreat weekend, annual ropes course (personal/professional development), bible study, book and wine club, intern night out, resident wellness morning (on procedure day), and volleyball. In addition to others, we can set up on an individual basis, based on resident interest.
Learn more about the La Crosse community
Sperling’s has La Crosse No. 8 on their list of Small Town Secure Places to Live (2011) and the cost of living is 88% of the national average. Housing options abound within walking distance to the clinic and hospital. Living “out in the country” often yields only a 10- to 15-minute commute.
- La Crosse and the surrounding Coulee Region combine the best of arts, entertainment and nightlife, with an emerging emphasis on “silent sports” (hiking, biking, canoeing, etc.)
- On and in the water — Boating on the Mississippi; quiet canoeing on the Black, Root and La Crosse rivers; trout fishing in dozens of area streams
- On wheels — Nationally recognized bike trails crisscross the region; our hospital and clinic sponsor a Labor Day Bike Festival that draws casual and serious bikers from across the Midwest
- On foot — Climb the bluffs and follow the ridge tops on our “Human Powered Trails”
- In the stands — Join 3,000 of your closest friends for a Northwoods League (collegiate) baseball game; in the winter you can switch to Midwest Junior League hockey
- In the audience — Take in performances by the La Crosse Symphony Orchestra or the La Crosse Community Theater; local venues also attract national touring performances of Broadway shows, headline performers and specialty events
- With your new friends — Pick a word, add “fest” to it and you will probably find people having a good time nearby (October-, River-, Irish-, Corn-, Butter- and more).
For those times when your interests are a bit more urban, you can easily fit in day-or one-night trips to Minneapolis-St. Paul, Madison, Milwaukee, Green Bay or Chicago.
Life as a resident gallery
See pictures of our residents in wellness activities and hobbies outside the program.