Outside of work, fellows in the Pediatric Infectious Diseases Fellowship program love all that Mayo Clinic and Rochester, Minnesota, have to offer. We'll support you both inside and outside of the Mayo Clinic campus to promote wellness and ensure your work/life balance.
As a trainee, your physical and mental health is a priority to both Mayo Clinic and the department. Trainees have access to several resources to promote well being, as well as time off clinical duties to attend appointments.
- Dan Abraham Healthy Living Center
- Groups on campus
Trainees have access to the Dan Abraham Healthy Living Center (DAHLC), which is located on both Mayo Clinic campuses (downtown and Saint Marys) in Rochester, Minnesota. This state-of-the-art fitness facility offers basic classes (including free weights, stretching, cardio, and more), drop-in classes, evaluation services, group training, virtual personal training, and virtual wellness coaching.
Membership to the DAHLC is available at a low cost to trainees and their families through payroll deduction.
The Student Services office provides resources to promote academic, emotional, social, cognitive, financial, and physical well-being. Career and academic services include academic advising, peer tutoring, and accommodations for learners with disabilities or health conditions. Mental health services, counseling, interview practice, and a variety of enrichment sessions on topics like budgeting, resiliency, and stress and burn-out are also available through the Student Services office.
Several groups on campus help you connect with other fellows and their families, such as the Mayo Fellows Association, the Mayo Families' Connection, and Mayo Employee Resource Groups. These groups help enhance your training by providing and organizing wellness initiatives and social activities.
Workshops for spouses and significant others are also available.
Diversity and Inclusion
At Mayo Clinic, we're committed to recruiting a diverse workforce (e.g. women, underrepresented in medicine, LGBTI) in order to provide the best care for our diverse community.
As a trainee, you'll have the opportunity to be a part of:
- Regularly scheduled Women in Medicine events, with participation by women leaders across the institution.
- Mayo Employee Resource Groups (MERGs) dedicated to diverse groups to allow for broader institutional engagement and interaction.
- The OUTList — an internal resource created by the LGBTI MERG that promotes community, visibility, and mentoring among Mayo's faculty, staff, and trainees by identifying LGBTI mentors within Mayo Clinic interested in being a resource for others.
- The Student National Medical Association and National Medical Association conferences, which provide a place for you to share and learn diversity and inclusion best practices.
- The Mayo Clinic Trainee Diversity & Inclusion Committee, a group that recruits and mentors applicants from underrepresented backgrounds in medicine.
Mayo Clinic is committed to help your spouse and/or significant other find employment prior to your move to Rochester. This program, referred to as Accompanying Talent, is available to all matched trainees and has contacts with employers in Rochester, the surrounding area, and Minneapolis/St. Paul.
We offer opportunities for your spouse or significant other to connect with opportunities at Mayo Clinic as well as with external companies. Personalized support is available, including:
- Career counseling
- Resume writing and interviewing workshops
- Mock interviews
- Invitation-only networking
- Informational interviews or job observations
Life in Rochester
Our fellows love the small town safety and conveniences paired with the big city entertainment and diverse restaurants Rochester has to offer. With live concerts, craft breweries, and over 3,500 acres of parks and trails, it's never hard to find something to do. Learn more about our community and what our fellows love about living here.
Some of our favorite things about Rochester include:
- Quarry Hill
- Willow Creek Reservoir
- Manorwood Lake
- Bleu Duck Kitchen
- Flapdoodles Ice Cream
- Cascade Lake
- Local apple orchards