Dental Specialties, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (Minnesota)
The externship program is designed for junior and senior dental students that desire additional training in oral surgery and exposure to outpatient and hospital-oriented oral and maxillofacial surgical care. For students inclined towards oral and maxillofacial surgery as a career, the externship provides an excellent opportunity for students to participate within the framework of the residency training program. Externs will be supervised by the OMS faculty and residents.
- To learn the scope of OMS
- To obtain experience in management of the hospitalized patient
- To obtain experience in ambulatory dentoalveolar surgery
- To obtain experience in the evaluation, diagnosis, and treatment planning of OMS diseases and conditions
- To have the opportunity to evaluate the OMS residency program at Mayo Clinic
Students will be involved with surgery in the hospital OR setting at least half of the time during their visit. The other half will be spent involved in the outpatient setting on Gonda 7 and the clinical setting on Mayo 12. They will participate in AM and PM rounds with residents and staff. They will also take part in on-call duties.
Students will be expected to attend OMS conferences from 7 a.m. – 8 a.m. on Mondays and Wednesdays.
Method of evaluation
Students are evaluated on their understanding of the basic knowledge they gained and on their participation in scheduled activities during their rotation in oral and maxillofacial surgery. Input is collected from staff utilizing an online evaluation tool.