Neurology Epilepsy (Arizona)
This elective in neurology-epilepsy will introduce students to adult patients with intractable epilepsy provided in a comprehensive epilepsy clinic. The goals include:
- Develop an understanding of patients with epilepsy in a comprehensive Epilepsy center.
- Develop a thorough understanding of IALE classifications of Epilepsy and apply it in a clinical setting.
- Learn and apply the pharmacological and surgical therapies for Epilepsy.
- Develop an understanding for the complete care of the patient with Epilepsy including neurophyschological evaluation, therapeutic intervention and medical therapy.
During the neuro-epilepsy elective students will:
- Attend daily Epilepsy rounds in the morning and epilepsy clinic in the afternoon.
- Attend Surgical Case Management Conference once a week.
- Participate in clinical research.
- Have an opportunity to further his/her knowledge in EEG interpretation.
- Be exposed to neurophychologic testing and its uses.
- Observe surgery for Epilepsy and surgical work-ups.
Methods to assess student performance and learning
- Observation of student performance.
- Written comments by preceptor/preceptors of the rotation.
- Constructive feedback from the comprehensive Epilepsy team.
Completion of three years of medical school and the basic neurology clerkship (Neuro 803).