Obstetrics and Gynecology, Gynecologic Surgery (Arizona)
This clerkship is offered at Mayo Clinic Hospital in Phoenix, Arizona. Staff consultants directly supervise students in both the outpatient clinic and the hospital service. Students may be assigned to a specific consultant in the subspecialty of gynecologic oncology, female pelvic medicine, and reconstructive surgery (FPMRS), or minimally invasive surgery.
- Develop basic skills in performing a pelvic examination and identifying normal anatomy.
- Acquire knowledge and skills in screening for gynecological malignancies, as well as the workup and follow-up of patients diagnosed or treated for such conditions.
- Become familiar with gynecological office procedures.
- Develop an understanding of the indications for surgical therapy for benign and malignant gynecological disorders.
- Gain experience dealing with unusual gynecological conditions.
In the outpatient clinic, students are present for observation during clinical consultation. Students observe the evaluation and performance of office gynecological procedures on patients assigned to consultants.
In the hospital service, students participate in the preoperative evaluation of gynecological patients. They are expected to attend daily rounds, and they scrub for major and minor gynecological operations on benign and malignant conditions. Students are not expected to take on-call duty, but they can make themselves available if they are interested in participating in emergency operations.
An extensive literature and video reference list is available for students to increase their knowledge of gynecological subjects. Students present one teaching session to the OB-GYN staff on a topic of their choice.
Method of evaluation
Students have opportunities to discuss their experiences throughout the elective. They provide an objectives list and reading list to the consultant at the beginning of the elective. Students should be prepared to be questioned about their reading. Students also have an exit interview with the consultant, and a written evaluation is provided for their permanent files.