How to Apply
Class size and location
The Cardiovascular Invasive Specialist Program admits six students every year on a competitive basis. Therefore, clinical training groups are small with one-on-one instruction provided. Class sizes at Rochester Community and Technical College vary by semester.
Classes begin in late August and coincide with the start of the fall semester at Rochester Community and Technical College. Students who are accepted into the program must also enroll in Rochester Community and Technical College.
Admission requirements and policies
To be eligible for the Cardiovascular Invasive Specialist Program, you must have:
- A high school diploma (equivalent acceptable) or be a high school senior who expects to graduate by the time the program begins.
- Basic computer competence and keyboarding skills.
- Completed high school biology, chemistry, and physics courses or college transfer equivalents.
- Completed high school algebra II or Rochester Community and Technical College Math 0099 or equivalent.
- Graduated in the upper one-half of the high school graduating class with a 2.7 GPA or better. The science and math prerequisites must be taken within five years prior to application.
- College-level reading and writing readiness as tested by Accelerated Study in Associate Programs or prior college course work.
- Proof of completion of a CPR course prior to beginning Cardiovascular Invasive Specialist 1010. Must be current through the American Heart Association.
In addition to meeting general standards, cardiovascular invasive specialists must be able to:
- Lift more than 20 pounds routinely
- Work with their arms above their head routinely
- Push and pull, bend and stoop, and kneel or squat routinely
- Work standing on their feet 80 percent of the time
- Work compassionately with patients
- Help patients on and off the procedure room tables from wheelchairs or carts
- Effectively write and speak to patients and staff
- Hear and see clearly and differentiate colors
- Work effectively in a team setting
Transfer students must submit a Minnesota College Admission Form, an official transcript of high school credits, and official transcripts from all colleges previously attended. Generally, courses from other colleges in which you have earned at least a grade of C are accepted if those courses fit the program curriculum.
Rochester Community and Technical College makes the final decision regarding which general education courses may be transferred to the Cardiovascular Invasive Specialist Program.
Admission to Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences is open to U.S. workers in the four categories below. Therefore, visa sponsorship is not available.
- U.S. citizens
- U.S. nationals
- Lawful permanent residents
- Asylees and refugees
Applicants whose primary language is not English must submit results from the Test of English as a Foreign Language Internet-based test (TOEFL iBT). Scores from the speaking portion of the exam are given particular consideration in admission decisions. Learn more about the exam and register online at the Educational Testing Service.
The Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences code for the TOEFL iBT is 5784.
Educational transcripts from schools outside the U.S. must be translated (if they are not already in English) and evaluated for U.S. equivalence by an accredited credential evaluation service company prior to submission. Please refer to the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services for a list of qualified companies. The applicant pays for the examination and credential-evaluation services.
Application reviews are based on previous education, work experience, essay, letters of recommendation, and an interview.
|Application window||Program start date||Apply|
|Dec. 1 - March 1||August||Online application|
Complete the following steps to apply:
- Create an account to begin the online Application for Admission
- Select - Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences
- Select – Cardiovascular Invasive Specialist
- Complete each section of the application and submit
- After submission, view the required Supplemental Items and Documents
- Upload each required item in the Supplemental Items section
- Complete the Recommendation Request section
Additional required items
- Complete the essay questions and upload them to the Supplemental Items section.
- Unofficial transcripts may be uploaded in the Supplemental Items area for application purposes. If accepted to the program, official transcripts must be emailed from the institution to the program.
- Two recommendations are required and must be completed in the Recommendation Request section. Each recommender will receive an email with a link to complete a recommendation form.
- Recommendations from a teacher, counselor, professor, employer, or supervisor. Choose a person familiar with your qualifications and your potential for success in the cardiovascular field. Friends or family are not accepted.
Applicants considered for acceptance are invited to Mayo Clinic for a personal interview with the program director and selected faculty. An interview can be arranged only when your application file is complete.
Acceptance letters are mailed by April 1. If you receive an acceptance letter, your reply is expected within one week.
Enroll at Rochester Community and Technical College
You must also enroll in Rochester Community and Technical College if you are accepted into the program.