After completing the 12-month PGY-1 Pharmacy Residency at Mayo Clinic Health System — Albert Lea and Austin in Minnesota, you will be a proficient independent general practitioner capable of providing broad pharmacotherapy knowledge to a multitude of patient populations.
The purpose of the PGY-1 Pharmacy Residency at Mayo Clinic Health System — Albert Lea and Austin is to build on the Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) education and to contribute to the development of pharmacists who are responsible for the medication-related care of patients with a wide range of conditions. After successful completion of the residency, candidates will be eligible for board certification and postgraduate, year-two (PGY-2) pharmacy residency training.
The program provides the high-quality didactic and clinical experiences needed to create a well-rounded, fully-competent, clinical pharmacist. As a pharmacy resident, you will:
- Expand your knowledge of various sectors of pharmacy practice including acute care, ambulatory care, infusion pharmacy, and clinical oncology
- Develop expertise, knowledge, and skills in a broad range of therapeutics through direct patient care
- Contribute to an interdisciplinary health care team offering patient-specific interventions to optimize drug therapy outcomes
- Provide drug information to the interdisciplinary team in an environment based on teamwork and mutual respect
- Enhance your skills in conducting clinical research, medication use evaluations, and quality-improvement initiatives
- Strengthen your communication skills by presenting formal and informal lectures, writing a professional manuscript, and leading interdisciplinary discussions
- Develop pharmacy practice management skills by leading various committees, establishing policies, and understanding the pharmacy practice philosophy
- Network with fellow pharmacy residents and practicing clinicians through professional membership and conferences
The PGY-1 Pharmacy Residency provides opportunities for general training in numerous areas of practice. During each learning experience, you work closely with preceptors, highly-qualified pharmacists, providers, and other allied health care professionals.
The PGY-1 Pharmacy Residency at Mayo Clinic Health System — Albert Lea and Austin is a newly-developed program accepting our first residents for the 2022-2023 residency year. Our program has been approved for pre-candidate status through ASHP and anticipates being accredited upon graduation of our first residents.
We have partnered with the other residency programs at Mayo Clinic during the development of our PGY-1 Pharmacy Residency. Our preceptors are committed to our new program and will provide a variety of required and elective rotations. All preceptors meet the qualifications outlined by ASHP and many are certified by the Board of Pharmacy Specialties.
Albert Lea and Austin are part of the Southeast Minnesota region of Mayo Clinic Health System. Our diverse region consists of two main acute care centers in Austin and Red Wing, two transitional care centers in Cannon Falls and Lake City, a Cancer Center in Albert Lea, and multiple infusion centers. Each of the five sites in the Southeast Minnesota region have an outpatient clinic with integrated ambulatory pharmacists. Residency program training will be primarily conducted in Albert Lea and Austin, but residents will also have learning experiences at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota.