Four positions are available on a competitive basis each year in the Hand Surgery Fellowship at Mayo Clinic's campus in Rochester, Minnesota.
To be eligible for the Hand Surgery Fellowship, you must have:
- Passed all three steps of the United States Medical Licensing Examination or Medical Council of Canada Qualifying Examinations
- Graduates from medical schools outside the U.S. and Canada must be certified by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG)
- The ability to obtain a Minnesota state medical license
- Successfully completed an approved residency in orthopedics or plastic surgery
To enter into an ACGME-accredited fellowship you must have completed an ACGME-accredited residency program, an AOA-approved residency program, a program with ACGME International (ACGME-I) Advanced Specialty Accreditation, or a Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Hand Surgery.
Also see general admissions requirements for Mayo Clinic School of Graduate Medical Education.
How to apply
The application deadline is Nov. 15, 2023. The academic year begins Aug. 1.
You must apply through the American Society for Surgery of the Hand (ASSH) Hand Surgery Fellowship Application Platform, a third-party application service.
- Visit the ASSH website to apply.
- Appointments are made through the Musculoskeletal-Hand Surgery Match, which is sponsored by the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP). You must register for the match in addition to applying through ASSH.
- Applicants considered for an appointment will be invited to visit Mayo Clinic for a personal interview with the program director and selected faculty. Interviews are conducted between January and March each year.
Select applicants will be invited for a two-day in-person interview on Feb. 23-24, 2024.
Interview invitations will be delivered electronically by December 2023.