- Carefully review these Mayo Clinic School of Graduate Medical Education policies and the trainee job description:
- Complete the application using the appropriate third-party application service.
- Each Mayo Clinic School of Graduate Medical Education program description includes application instructions and deadlines and identifies which application service you should use.
- Review the application process on the web page for the Mayo Clinic School of Graduate Medical Education program to which you wish to apply.
- Your completed application
- The materials required for all Mayo Clinic School of Graduate Medical Education applications (listed below)
- Any additional supporting materials identified through the application process specified for the Mayo Clinic School of Graduate Medical Education program to which you are applying.
Materials required to apply
All applications to Mayo Clinic School of Graduate Medical Education residencies and fellowships must include these materials as supporting documentation.
- Curriculum vitae
- Describe your activities with professional societies, publications, and any other relevant information about your education or experience.
- Personal statement of professional goals
- Copy of diploma from your medical school, graduate school and/or dental school
- Dean's letter
- Ask your medical, graduate and/or dental school to send a letter directly to the education coordinator listed in the application process of the program to which you are applying. A scanned copy, if available, is acceptable for ApplyYourself.
- Official final transcripts
- Transcripts must indicate degree earned and date conferred from each medical, graduate and/or dental school you attended. Scanned copies are acceptable for ApplyYourself. If you receive an appointment, official copies will be requested.
- Provide certified or notarized English translations of documents originally written in a language other than English.
- Official test transcripts for all applicable examinations
- USMLE, LMCC, COMLEX, NBOME, FMGEMS, FLEX, or NBME. Scanned copies are acceptable for ApplyYourself. If you receive an appointment, official copies will be requested.
- Valid ECFMG certificate required if you graduated from a medical school outside the U.S. or Canada.
- Two original letters of recommendation, or if specified in your program description, letters from physicians or faculty members who are thoroughly familiar with your work. If you have had prior residency training, ask your program director for a letter of recommendation. Each letter should include the writer's opinion of your professional, academic, and personal qualifications, as well as an opinion of your potential success in the field for which you are applying. Postdoctoral fellowship applications should have one of these letters from your thesis adviser.
- Copy of completion certificate from each of your prior residency and/or fellowship training programs.
- Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME)
- Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduate (ECFMG)
- Electronic Residency Application Service
- Federation of State Medical Boards (FSMB)
- Fellowship and Residency Electronic Interactive Database (FREIDA)
- National Board of Medical Examiners (NBME)