The Cardiovascular Diseases Fellowship is a three-year program designed to prepare you for a career in academic medicine. The first 24 months of fellowship training will satisfy the American College of Cardiology’s Core Cardiovascular Training Statement (COCATS) requirements for cardiovascular diseases.
During these core rotations, fellows obtain the basic knowledge and technical skills required to pass the ABIM’s Cardiovascular Disease Certification Exam. The first year includes rotations in the various clinical laboratories. During the second year, fellows synthesize the knowledge from the clinical laboratories to care for patients on both inpatient and outpatient services. The third year is a protected research year.
The fellowship offers:
- Comprehensive preparation for a scholarly career
- Progressive autonomy in patient care management and procedures without private patients or private attendings
- Extensive hands-on experience with all cardiovascular procedures
- Diverse patient population composed of local, regional, national, and international patients
- Comprehensive didactic curriculum and physical examination teaching series
- Numerous research opportunities with guaranteed research time
- Separate tracks for those interested in a more comprehensive research career, including clinician-investigator and National Institutes of Health (NIH) pathways
- Extensive allied health professional collaboration and support
- Women in Cardiology group
Mayo Clinic's academic environment, favorable faculty-to-fellow ratio, large patient population, and state-of-the-art diagnostic, therapeutic, and research facilities combine to create a truly integrated and comprehensive educational experience. The "Mayo Clinic way" of graduate medical education ensures the finest teaching and the broadest patient care experience possible during a busy, hands-on fellowship program.
We also offer a large number of both accredited and unaccredited advanced subspecialty fellowships.
- Adult Congenital Heart Disease Fellowship
- Advanced Heart Failure and Transplant Cardiology Fellowship
- Clinical Cardiac Electrophysiology Fellowship
- Combined Cardiology/Critical Care Fellowship
- Interventional Fellowship