Trainees in the Musculoskeletal Oncology Fellowship love all that Mayo Clinic and Rochester have to offer. We'll support you both inside and outside of the Mayo Clinic campus to promote wellness and ensure your work/life balance.
- Dan Abraham Healthy Living Center
- Groups on campus
Trainees have access to the Dan Abraham Healthy Living Center (DAHLC), which is located on both Mayo Clinic campuses (downtown and Saint Marys) in Rochester, Minnesota. This state-of-the-art fitness facility offers basic classes (including free weights, stretching, cardio, and more), drop-in classes, evaluation services, group training, virtual personal training, and virtual wellness coaching.
Membership to the DAHLC is available at a low cost to trainees and their families through payroll deduction.
Several groups on campus help you connect with other fellows and their families, such as the Mayo Fellows Association, the Mayo Families' Connection, and Mayo Employee Resource Groups. These groups help enhance your training by providing and organizing wellness initiatives and social activities.
Workshops for spouses and significant others are also available.
Diversity and inclusion
We endeavor to create and maintain a diverse, vibrant, collaborative, learner-centered community which promotes the growth of future colleagues and the advancement of our field. We are all responsible to and for our community which in turn provides a solid clinical foundation and encourages individual development, while fostering an environment of scholarly inquisitiveness, commitment to excellence, and creativity.
We strongly encourage diverse applicants to apply to our program; including those who have historically been excluded from the field due to race/ethnicity, socioeconomic background, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, and disability status.
Our faculty includes individuals from diverse cultural and clinical training backgrounds. Our program values facilitating personally and professionally supportive and affirming relationships between residents, fellows, and faculty.
As a trainee, you'll have the opportunity to be a part of:
- Mayo Employee Resource Groups (MERGs) dedicated to diverse groups to allow for broader institutional engagement and interaction.
- The OUTList, an internal resource created by the LGBTI MERG that promotes community, visibility, and mentoring among Mayo's faculty, staff, and trainees by identifying LGBTI mentors within Mayo Clinic interested in being a resource for others.
- The Mayo Clinic Trainee Diversity & Inclusion Committee, a group that recruits and mentors applicants from underrepresented backgrounds in medicine.
Mayo Fellows Association (MFA)
The Mayo Fellows Association (MFA) offers a peer and social support network for residents and fellows and their families with social events, athletics, and advocacy. The MFA also holds an annual resident and fellow appreciation event open to all trainees with complimentary massages, stress-reducing activities, and social support.
Life in Rochester
Our fellows love the small-town safety and conveniences paired with the big-city entertainment and diverse restaurants Rochester has to offer. With live concerts, craft breweries, and over 3,500 acres of parks and trails, it's never hard to find something to do. Learn more about our community and what our fellows love about living here.
Destination Medical Center
The state of Minnesota has partnered with Mayo Clinic and others to develop Rochester as a global Destination Medical Center. This 20-year economic development initiative aims to create the highest quality patient, visitor, and community member experience in Rochester both now and in the future.
Current priorities include:
- Discovery Square. This 16-block sub-district is a science hub where world-leading medical practitioners, educators, researchers, and businesses connect.
- Heart of the City. The core of downtown Rochester, Heart of the City extends and enhances public spaces to create active and engaging experiences for residents and visitors with activities and events, hotels, restaurants, shops, and boutiques.