Mayo Clinic is a major tertiary referral center, seeing more than 50,000 children from all over the world who come here for expert opinions every year. Our Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine includes more than 100 pediatric and adolescent physicians specializing in more than 40 areas and providing care ranging from routine checkups to complex surgical procedures.
As a trainee in our Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine Residency in Rochester, Minnesota, you'll learn how to work as part of a multidisciplinary team to provide care for children with complex problems. You'll also have ample opportunities to learn "bread-and-butter" pediatrics as you help care for children in the hospital, emergency department and newborn nursery, and as part of your continuity clinic, where you truly are the primary care provider.
You’ll also experience:
- Flexibility. Multiple electives each year (including two in the first year) allow you to adapt your training to meet your needs.
- International health experience. The Mayo International Health Program provides funding support for educational opportunities around the globe. The program integrates global health training for all residents, and some choose to be part of the global health pathway/track.
- Friendly and approachable staff. Learn from and work alongside more than 100 pediatric and adolescent physician specialists in more than 40 specialty areas. The primary relationship is residents working directly with faculty.
- Opportunities for scholarship. Enjoy ample opportunities to engage in scholarship, including the option to use up to three elective months for research activities. This opportunity has led many residents to travel and present at regional, national and even international locations — providing a competitive edge when applying for fellowships or jobs.
- High board pass rate. Over the past 10 years, 95 percent of our residents have passed the boards on their first attempt. We had a five-year stretch where everyone passed on their first attempt. We train you well, and our board pass rate is just one indication.
The flexibility of our program is unmatched! I am able to tailor electives toward my specific career interests and goals. I was able to create my own electives in order to gain more skills in areas specific to my future career in the pediatric emergency department.
Cree Kachelski, M.D.
Pediatric and adolescent medicine resident
I'm not only the director of this outstanding residency program — I'm also a product of this program. I know what it's like to be a resident at Mayo Clinic, and I want to share that unique and rewarding experience with you.
Jay Homme, M.D.
Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine Residency program director