Simulation Medicine Fellowship (Florida)
The J. Wayne and Delores Barr Weaver Simulation Center at Mayo Clinic's campus in Jacksonville, Florida, offers a Simulation Medicine Fellowship. This fellowship has two available positions for either a one- or two-year term.
Leslie V. Simon, D.O., is the medical director of the simulation center and director of the fellowship.
This fellowship focuses on:
- Principles of adult learning theory
- Advantages and limitations of simulation-based education as it applies to health care
- Simulation typology
- Operational techniques appropriate to a world-class experiential learning center
- Publishing work in academic journals related to simulation medicine
Fellows in the program also become knowledgeable in simulation-based technologies, participate in the daily operations of the J. Wayne and Delores Barr Weaver Simulation Center, and actively engage in the team process that's necessary for the effective functioning of a medical simulation center.
- Experiential learning theory
- Adult learning theory
- Leadership theory
- Organizational theory
- Motivational theory
- Assessment theory
- Application of theories addressed
- History of simulation
- Teaching and facilitation
- Academic and scientific writing
- Instructional design
- Interpersonal communications
- Simulation technology
Trainees completing the Simulation Medicine Fellowship are expected to learn and master the skills necessary to effectively:
- Design and write a simulation-based research project
- Lead a successful simulation center
- Incorporate simulation-based experiential training into a larger specialty-based curriculum
- Use newly designed simulation courses as a process-engineering tool to optimize the safety of patient care delivered within an established health care environment
- Integrate into simulation-based societal functions
- Develop poise and prowess in presentations to national and international audiences
Mayo Clinic's campus is located in a prime location close to all of the activities Jacksonville has to offer: beach, arts and theater, professional sports, restaurants, and attractions. Learn more about Jacksonville, Florida:
- Take a virtual tour of Mayo Clinic's campus in Jacksonville, Florida
- Jacksonville Chamber of Commerce
- Jacksonville Visitor's Bureau
Those eligible for the Simulation Medicine Fellowship include college graduates who are pursuing or have already completed an advanced degree and training in academic medicine, such as physicians, fellows, residents, nurses and other advanced allied health personnel.
A pre-admission health review and current immunization record are required before the start of the fellowship. Prospective fellows must pass a criminal background check and drug screening.
Applications are under continual review. To apply, complete the application (Word document).
Send your completed application to:
J. Wayne and Delores Barr Weaver Simulation Center
4500 San Pablo Road
Stabile Building, Eighth Floor
Jacksonville, FL 32224
For questions about completing the application or the application process, contact:
For more information about the Simulation Medicine Fellowship, contact:
Leslie Simon, D.O.
Simulation Medicine Fellowship Director