Simulation Medicine Fellowship (Minnesota)
The Mayo Clinic Department of Experiential Learning’s Multidisciplinary Simulation Center in Rochester, Minnesota, offers a Simulation Fellowship. As a fellow in the program, you will become knowledgeable in simulation-based technologies, participate in the daily operations of the Mayo Clinic Multidisciplinary Simulation Center, and actively engage in the team process that is necessary for the effective functioning of a healthcare simulation center.
This fellowship is accredited by the Society for Simulation in Healthcare (SSH) and the American College of Surgeons (ACS-AEI).
A stipend is provided for the fellowship as well as medical and dental benefits. Unfortunately, housing is not provided.
Faculty and mentors
The fellowship is overseen by the Simulation Center’s Medical Director, Torrey Laack, M.D., an emergency medicine physician. Mariela Rivera, M.D., will be the Surgical Fellowship Director for those from a surgical specialty. Mark Morrey, M.D., is the director of the Center for Procedural Skills Mastery and will collaborate with those interested in procedural skills simulation.
Additional mentoring is provided by David Cook, M.D., M.H.P.E. (research mentor) and Usha Asirvatham, M.S.N., R.N., C.H.S.E. (education mentor).
Mariela Rivera, M.D.
Mark Morrey, M.D.
David Cook, M.D., M.H.P.E.
Usha Asirvatham, M.S.N., R.N., C.H.S.E.
As a simulation fellow, you are expected to learn and master the skills necessary to effectively:
- Incorporate simulation-based experiential training into an educational curriculum
- Design simulation courses to optimize the safety of patient care delivery
- Design, conduct, and disseminate a simulation-based research project
- Lead a successful simulation center
- Actively engage with simulation-focused professional organizations
- Demonstrate proficiency in presenting to national and/or international audiences
- Instructional design
- Educational research
- Simulation design with different emphasis
- Education, cognitive science learning and assessment
- Systems integration
- Simulation technology
- Sim Center administration
Education and/or experience required: Postdoctoral fellows must complete the doctoral degree before beginning their postdoctoral training. At a minimum, fellows must complete all requirements for the doctoral degree from an accredited institution of higher learning.
Additional experience and/or qualifications:
- Specific experience in simulation-based learning is preferred.
- Experience in research and evaluation methodologies for assessment of educational outcomes is preferred.
A pre-admission health review and current immunization record are required before the start of the fellowship. Prospective fellows must pass a criminal background check and drug screening.
Information for international candidates
If selected, a minimum of four-five months of lead time is needed for new fellows requiring an initial J-1 or H-1B visa. English language proficiency is an eligibility requirement for participation in the program.
|Application deadlines||Program start date|
|Sept. 1, 2023 – Nov. 1, 2023||July 2024|
Complete the following steps to apply:
- Create an account to begin the online Application for Admission
- Select – Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science Experience
- Select – Simulation Medicine Fellowship (RST)
- Complete each section of the application and submit
- After submission, view the required Supplemental Items and Documents
- Upload each required item in the Supplemental Items section
- Complete the Recommendation Request section
Additional required items
- Personal Statement of Professional Goals
- Three letters of recommendation (two professional and one academic)
- If you have had prior residency training, ask your program director for a letter of recommendation. Each letter should include the writer's opinion of your professional, academic, and personal qualifications, as well as an opinion of your potential success in simulation medicine.
- Unofficial college transcripts
- Copy of completion certificate from each residency and/or fellowship training program
For questions, email: firstname.lastname@example.org