Page Content

Maintaining J-1 scholar status

As a J-1 scholar, you must take care to maintain lawful status during your stay in the U.S. Failure to maintain lawful status can have serious short-term and long-term consequences. You may only perform duties limited to the pre-established educational objectives as stated on the DS-2019.

Important steps to maintaining J-1 scholar status

As a J-1 scholar, you must pay close attention to the following items to ensure that you and your dependents remain in valid status:

  • New scholar orientation.
    You are required to attend a Mayo Clinic Legal Department orientation on a predetermined date within 30 days of the program start date. You will be notified of of your orientation date and time prior to your arrival at Mayo Clinic.
  • Valid DS-2019.
    You must also take notice of your program dates on your DS-2019 and be certain not to overstay. If your appointment at Mayo Clinic is being extended, your HR recruiter or GME specialist must notify the Legal Department by creating an intake form in the Legal Department's case management system detailing your program extension so that the DS-2019 form may likewise be extended prior to the current DS-2019 end date.
  • Valid passport.
    Passports can be renewed by your home country consulate. The Department of State maintains a complete list of Foreign Embassies and consulates in the U.S.
  • Valid entry.
    Your U.S. entry/admission stamp in your passport and I-94 (whether paper or electronic), should always be marked “J-1” and “D/S.”  If there are any errors by U.S. Customs and Border officer, immediately contact Mayo Clinic’s Legal Department at
  • Do not accept unauthorized employment.
    The only activity you are  permitted to do is the one described in section four of your DS-2019 form at the pre-determined site(s) of activity in SEVIS. If you are unclear about your approved activity and site(s) of J-1 activity, contact the Legal Department at

Report any change of your address the Legal Department by e-mailing It is your responsibility to report a change of address to the Department of Homeland Security within 10 days of the change using Change of Address Form.