- Apply online to Mayo Clinic School of Medicine through the American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS). Indicate through AMCAS your desire to apply for the Combined Medical Degree-Ph.D.
- A $120 application fee is required for Mayo Clinic School of Medicine; there is no additional Medical Scientist Training Program (MSTP) application fee.
- Applications are accepted from June 1 through Oct. 1. Early submission of application materials is strongly encouraged, as the deadline for completed applications is Oct. 15. (A completed application is composed of the verified AMCAS application, secondary application, letters of recommendation, ratings sheets and application fee.)
- Applicants will be contacted regarding the MSTP secondary application.
- The MSTP requires a minimum of three and a maximum of five recommendation letters to complete your application. Recommendation letters may be received through the AMCAS letter service or sent directly to the Mayo Clinic MSTP.
- A Mayo Clinic M.D.-Ph.D. rating sheet is required from each recommender. The applicant fills out the student portion of the form, signs at the bottom and forwards the form to the recommender. The recommender completes, signs and returns the ratings sheet through one of these methods:
- Uploading through AMCAS letter service
- Faxing to 507-293-0838 (Mayo Clinic MSTP)
- Emailing to MayoMSTP@mayo.edu (must come directly from recommender's email address)
- Mailing to:
Mayo Clinic Medical Scientist Training Program
Attn: Lisa M. Hurley
Guggenheim Building, Room 2-24
200 First St. SW
Rochester, MN 55905
- The review of your application occurs after all materials (verified AMCAS application, secondary application, letters of recommendation, ratings sheets and application fee) are received. The deadline for completed applications is Oct. 15.
- Mayo Clinic Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences strives to enhance its diversity and welcomes applications from diverse learners.
The MSTP interview process:
- Prospective students selected for an interview are contacted starting mid-November.
- Interview weekends are held in January and February.
- Interview travel expenses are reimbursed up to a predetermined limit.
- Acceptance of offer is required as outlined in the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) traffic rules.
Candidates invited for an interview attend one of our MSTP interview weekends. You receive an in-depth orientation to the program, participate in interviews with members of the MSTP Admissions Committee, and have the opportunity to meet one or two faculty members of your choice.
If you are not offered an interview for the MSTP, you may choose to be considered for the M.D.-only program.
Admissions offer and second visit
If you are offered admission, you may elect to make a second visit to the Minnesota, Arizona or Florida campus. During this second visit, you may meet potential thesis mentors and gather more information to help you decide among the programs to which you have been admitted.
Second look travel expenses are reimbursed up to a predetermined limit.