Admission requirements for the Ph.D. Program include a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university, a strong background in the basic sciences, and prior research experience.
All Ph.D. Program candidates must fulfill the following requirements for eligibility:
- A baccalaureate degree, preferably in the biological or physical sciences, must be obtained from an accredited institution
- A cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale is necessary
- Certification of the degree is required
Suggested undergraduate coursework:
- It is strongly suggested that applicants have completed one year of coursework with demonstrated competence (B average or above) in biology, chemistry, physics, and calculus
- Additional coursework in biochemistry, molecular biology, cell biology, and physiology is encouraged
- Applicants for the Biomedical Engineering and Physiology Track are encouraged to have courses in quantitative science and engineering (such as signal processing, computer science, and instrumentation)
Note that undergraduate courses are not available at Mayo Clinic Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences.
International applicants should see the International Applicant Information page.
How to apply
Please apply to only one primary track of interest for each admission cycle. Your application and all supporting documentation must be received between Sept. 1 through Dec. 1, including letters of recommendation.
When you apply to the program you need to pick a location where you plan to study: Jacksonville, Florida; Phoenix/Scottsdale, Arizona; or Rochester, Minnesota.
The admissions application is free. There is no application fee for applying to our Ph.D. program.
Complete the following steps to apply:
- Create an account to begin the online Application for Admission
- Complete each section of the application and submit
- After submission, view the required Supplemental Items and Documents
- Upload each required item in the Supplemental Items section
- Complete the Recommendation Request section
Required application documents
The following items, including all Letters of Recommendation, must be received by the application deadline within the Supplemental Items area of the application.
- Personal statement
- List your prior research experience in chronological order, indicating the role you played in each project.
- Indicate which has been your most satisfying research project and why it was satisfying to you.
- Summarize your current scientific interests and career goals.
- Specifically answer the question: "Why do you want to be a biomedical scientist?"
- Your personal statement should be two to four pages if single-spaced, or three to five pages if double-spaced.
- Publications (Optional: if you would like to upload any of your research experience(s) which have resulted in publication)
- Upload the first two pages of each publication, which should contain the abstract and introduction sections. Be sure the name of the publication and your name are listed. Should the admissions committee like additional information regarding your publication, you will be contacted directly.
- Combine any poster presentation award certificate information with your publication document and upload it as one document. If the document is too large to upload, condense the information in a Word document in outline format.
- Three letters of recommendation (including letters from research mentors) are required and must be completed in the Recommendation Request section. Each recommender will receive an email with a link to complete a rating form and upload a letter. The most qualified applicants are invited to interview. Mayo Clinic welcomes applications from diverse learners.
- Unofficial transcripts of courses from all colleges or universities attended may be uploaded in the Supplemental Items area for application purposes. If accepted to the program, official transcripts will be requested.
- English language proficiency documents for non-native English speakers
- Applicants who are native English speakers from one of the qualifying countries or territories listed on the MCGSBS English Speaking Country and Territory List are NOT required to provide additional documentation.
- English Speaking Country and Territory List:
- Anguilla, Antigua & Barbuda, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Canada (except Quebec), Cayman Islands, Dominica, Gambia, The, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, Kenya, Micronesia, Montserrat, New Zealand, Nigeria, Philippines, Republic of Ireland, Saint Kits & Nevis, Singapore, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Tanzania, Tobago, Trinidad, Turks & Caicos Islands, United Kingdom (England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, and Wales), and Zimbabwe