Massage therapy continuing education
The Hospital-Based Massage Therapy Course at Mayo Clinic's campus in Rochester, Minnesota, offers a unique opportunity for professional massage therapists to enhance their skills and advance their practice in the acute care hospital setting. This is a five week, two-module course led by Mayo Clinic faculty.
The course provides:
- A comprehensive review of therapeutic relationship building
- Treatment planning
- Team-based approaches to integrative health care
- Scope of practice
- Navigation and documentation of medical records
The in-depth discussions, hands-on training and interactive sessions are geared to increase knowledge, performance, and patient outcomes. In turn, this course allows participants to experience self-exploration.
In the first module, participants complete course content using Blackboard, an online learning management system. The second module includes experiential learning and a 25-hour internship component interacting directly with patients at Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota.
Upon conclusion of this course, participants should be able to:
- Translate the massage therapist's role as part of the integrative health care team into an acute care setting
- Incorporate knowledge and skills of integrative health practices utilized by massage therapists in an acute care setting
- Integrate the practical skills needed for the massage profession into a medical setting and apply them in an appropriate, safe, effective and compassionate manner with patients and health care staff
- Describe the role and professional boundaries of a massage therapist in the health care environment
- Demonstrate proper body mechanics and communication skills while providing massage therapy to patients
- Apply hospital-based policies relating to safety and infection control
This program is certified by the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork (NCBTMB). As an NCBTMB-approved program, the Hospital-Based Massage Therapy Course meets continuing education recertification and credit requirements.
See accreditation information for Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Science.
Mayo Clinic's campus in Minnesota includes an extensive outpatient complex, Mayo Clinic Hospital — Rochester, and substantial research and education facilities. This Mayo Clinic site is among the largest, most advanced medical centers in the world.
Graduation and certification
After successfully completing this course, you receive a certificate of completion from Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences.